Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 6 reg LJ 2243 Rover engine

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Daimler 6 reg LJ 2243 Rover engine

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler 6 reg LJ2243 Rover engine

Post by Phillmore »

That will be either the 2.3 or 2.6 then although they don't specify.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
What engine would it have had originally. I would assume the upholstery would have been Leather.
Regards
Colin

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

More than likely a sleeve valve unit, Colin.
Normal for Norfolk

Daimler Straight 8

Post by Daimler Straight 8 »

Hi there
I ended up buying this car and she’s been a bit of a nightmare
But I’m getting there
But I still have no idea what model it is

DR450USA

Post by DR450USA »

Why the nightmare? Do tell. Beautiful car. I'm sure someone here can identify the model.

Daimler Straight 8

When I bought the car and couldn’t take for a test drive I was told she had a bit of a wobble @ 25mph
So I thought may be bad tyres a wheel bent or prop shaft balancing.
So I got her home spent a few days looking round her got her insured and then took her for a drive and OMG there wasn’t a little wobble the body was trying to throw its self off the chassis it was that bad you couldn’t drive it.
So i had all the wheels and tyres sent to longstones and they came back and said they wasn’t too bad just need a little time on balancing so that was great.
I had a new prop shaft made and put in and also had to have a new stainless steel fuel tank made to original spec.
So then decided to take her out again with no joy again there was this violent wobble.
But then I luckily found a parts book on a very similar model and was looking through and comparing pictures to the car and noticed that there wasn’t a steering damper on my car but there was in one of the pictures.
So with a few nights talk in my local pub with other we decided to put a Ranger Rover P38 steering damper on in place of not having an original.
And this has worked a treat with no wobble at all.
The next problem we have found is the the car will only do 45mph flat out. I would have thought that this model would have done 60mph
Another problem we have found is the car had an engine and gearbox change to automatic and there is no oil cooler on the gearbox.
And now the radiator has started leaking so we took that off and sent that away to repair and waiting for it to come back now.
I’m now re doing the interior to burgundy leather instead of the horrible cheap brown vinyl and new carpets

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Is it an SD1 straight 6 engine?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Daimler Straight 8

Re: Daimler 6 reg LJ 2243 Rover engine

Yes it is the Rover SD1 2600 engine with auto box
But we are having problems that the car will only do 45mph max now

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Daimler 6 reg LJ 2243 Rover engine

Post by theoldman »

Does the engine rev freely when in "N" or "P" ??
Normal for Norfolk