Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

M major Limo on ebay USA..

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

M major Limo on ebay USA..

Post by tjt77 »

unable to download the link.. but there is a solid but long since derelict M Major limo listed on ebay today ( 22nd march '18) in Carolina ( east coast.. known for rust) looks solid.. remarkable how many have survived to date.. I broke quite few saloons in 70s in Uk when they were unwanted by anyone.. broke another limo ( appallingly poor body and interior) here last year and sent body and chassis to crusher.. have since uncovered 2 more here in USA fairly locally, and another saloon ( in very decent shape) was sold on east coast via ebay last year..

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: M major Limo on ebay USA..

Post by New Dexter »

If you type this number into the search bar on eBay.com you'll find that this will work. A copy and paste should work just as well.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Previously mentioned in this forum here:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1110
It's been moved since that posting.
Link to ebay here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1964-Daimler ... SwLx5ass-a
asking price $2,500. It's not in Carolina (East Coast), it's in fact in California. Dryer west coast.
And some pictures.
DR450-California #2.jpg
DR450-California #4.jpg
DR450-California #3.jpg

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Unsure if I miss read the ad to think it was in Carolina..probably yes.. and as noted by Chris, ..same car that was listed last year on CL.. replied to ad back then.. zero response.. car looks solid.. but unfortunately its beyond 'economical' restoration..to sort out interior alone would well exceed cars potential market value.. I did purchase one about 2 yrs back in worse shape.. mechanically good but body and interior shot .. I kept the power train.. rest went to crusher..

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

I think the majority of cars of that era will cost more to restore than they will ever be worth. Most of the time it's not why we do it.
Yesterday I was at the Car Restoration show and on one stand were 4 Austin A90 Atlantics in various states of restoration. I should have taken some pictures but one was having a complete new floor made, with the right reinforcing pattern. It took the metal worker 3 days just to make the die for the pattern. Admittedly, it then "only" took him about 4 hours to hammer out the pattern in a piece of sheet metal. That was just the half to the left of the transmission tunnel, he has to do all again for the right half. 7 days work just for 2 panels. At the very best, a concours condition Austin A90 Atlantic might reach £25 - 30,000, the cost of restoring one will far exceed that. It's only the stratospheric exotica which most of us can't afford where values exceed restoration costs. To be blunt, I doubt that there is any Daimler which would be "economic" to restore if the intention is to make a profit.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

It never ceases to maze me how some people spend their time and efforts.. the A90 'atlantic' was a complete disaster of a car.. but the saving grace is that it spawned to Healey 100/4..which made good use of that big torquey 4 banger and adding an overdrive and blanking off 1st gear made for a very useable power train.. Donald Healey got the concept 'right' form the get go, whereas Austin flailed miserably.. the A 40 'sports' was another screw up in an attempt to serve the US export market.. not quite as pig ugly as the Austin atlantic.. but with just as many shortcomings..
likely we all restore our cars out of passion.. one only gets paid if doing he job for someone else.. 'spec' restorations have always produced a dead loss for me.. but the end result is always gratifying ..