Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler DB18 Barker Special Sports

andrewwainwright

Daimler DB18 Barker Special Sports

Post by andrewwainwright »

DAIMLER DB18 BARKER SPECIAL SPORTS
Rare example with Conquest Century Engine and 3 speed Automatic Gearbox
1952. (MOT up to date) Two-tone green.
The car has been in the same family since around 1980.
Good, reliable example.
Large history file, plus many spares included.
In addition to routine maintenance, recent work has included adjusting valve clearances, replace big ends, mains, and thrust bearings.
Re-line front brakes, strip and overhaul all brakes. New timing chain, replaced king pins and trunion bushes.
Steering box swapped. Rear springs replaced.
New pistons and rings, honed cylinders, and replaced cylinder head gasket.
£27,000.00 (Notts. area)
Contact Andrew & Helen Wainwright 07979 650158 or andrewwainwright15@outlook.com

A selection of photographs can be sent to anyone interested in purchasing our Daimler.
(I am unable to add photos to this posting)
Last edited by andrewwainwright on Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helen Wainwright

Re: Daimler DB18 Barker Special Sports

Post by Helen Wainwright »

Just received this e-mail, and would like to share it with you all.

From Maureen Jenkins at a gmail address. THIS IS WORD FOR WORD

I'm really keen to buy it off you, please, give me a first buying priority and I will be paying you the asking price so consider it sold.
I would like you to be honest with me because I will not be available to come for inspects due to nature of my work. Honestly, I am
purchasing it for my first son who just graduated on top of his class in University of Nottingham. He studied Science and Engineering.
I am so proud of him. I want it as a surprise package to appreciate him towards his achievement and to be delivered it to my family before my arrival. I am working with Cygnus Gas Field and we are presently offshore at North Sea, United Kingdom in the Cygnus project.
We do not have access to phone at the moment, it's 30 days off and 30 days on, which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.
Where is it located at the moment? Does it have any history I should be aware of? and MOT?TAX if you don't mind my asking...
I don't mind adding an extra £200 for you just to take down the posting, I am already in talks with the courier that will handle the pick-up and delivery after payment. As regards of the payment, I will be paying through PayPal account, using PPal instant wire transfer service, I will need your PayPal email account details. If you do not have, you can set up a PayPal account proper at (details given) and I will make the payment
through PayPal, this way, all I will need is your PayPal email address,.. I will be needing the details below...
Your PayPal Email Address
Your Picked up Location Address

Hope to hear from you soon etc

I have spoken to our Editor Kevin Bennett about this, and he tells me he had the same thing with some headlamps he had for sale.
and because he refused to deal with the person, they managed to suspend his PayPal address and he still gets payment problems now.

It's time PayPal took some responsibility for these scams?

Helen Wainwright

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Similar to many Nigerian scams.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Anyway, I don't think it's always a good idea for a young man to drive an old car without instruction and a potential buyer should always look at the car.

A seller should never be rushed or bounced into a sale.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Back in the spring I listed a ride on mower on fleabay, it sold for much more than I expected and I received an email from the buyer in very raw English, I was not at all happy with the communication from the buyer which appeared to come from abroad.

To cut a complicate story short, there is a group of Polish nationals in the UK buying up quad bikes and ride on mowers at silly prices to take back to Poland for refurbishment. My initial response was to ditch the sale and start again, but within a week a Polish reg truck pulled up with a dozen machines on board, and a man with a big wad of cash took my mower away.

That which at first may appear dodgy turned out to be genuine, but for me I would always insist on Cash, if they really want it they will find a way. Syd

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

I advertised my everyday car for sale through Ebay. Within 1 hour i received a message saying they would pay my full price but would i consider taking something as trade in. There was a link attached purporting to give details of whatever was on offer. who knows what might have happened if i had clicked on the link!

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

There is an old Native American saying:

"It is only the people you trust who can let you down".

Helen Wainwright

After informing Practical Classics of the e-mails that we have received, they
have confirmed that it is a scam, and not to reply to it. We didn't!
They say they are unable to differentiate between genuine replies and scams.
Which is sadly, understandable.

Helen :x

Helen Wainwright

We have decided to reduce the asking price to £30,000 for the Duchess,
due to lack of storage space.

Helen