Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1957 CONQUEST CENTURY Mk2 AUTO

Damian Mills

1957 CONQUEST CENTURY Mk2 AUTO

Post by Damian Mills »

Type DJ260, with highly sought after and delightfully smooth Borg Warner DG automatic gearbox.

Nice interior, with a lovely patina. Has the later, more attractive dashboard with darker wood and white on black instruments.

I bought this car through carandclassic.co.uk in October 2018, on the understanding that she was in good running order but wanted some TLC. I was very naive.

The following was done in October 2018. Professional negative earth conversion. New Dynamator (alternator in a dynamo box). Discreet powerful high level LED brake light. 2 new old stock front shock absorbers. 5 new Hankook steel radials. New spark plugs, distributor cap, points and HT leads. All fluids changed (except brake fluid - electronically tested and OK). Everything freshly greased. On request, I will happily provide a comprehensive summary of the work done.

The engine (rebuilt in 2011 at 41,211 miles) was taken out and stripped for rebuilding following failure on a trip to Hungary. Prior to this failure (at 46,949 miles), the car ran smoothly and was a pleasure to drive. The next job would have been the rear shock absorbers.

I am very reluctantly selling this car because it is now apparent that time-consuming work is required on the body and chassis, though the car is definitely no rot box. This work is straightforward, but needs metalworking skills I don’t have and can’t realistically afford to pay for. So, sadly, Delilah must now go to somebody who can put her back into good running order.

The original and valuable 1957 UK registration number - THP 554 - is still on the car. The car comes with a V5C, MoT to 24 September 2019, Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate, scans of many original Daimler manuals and some service records (1998-2013 and my ownership). Replacement Hella rear lights, a LED-compatible hazard/indicator flasher kit with period dash lamp & switch, some spares and some gear and transmission oils are included in the sale.

The car and I are in Tiszafüred, Hungary. It must be collected from here at the buyer’s expense.

I will answer serious enquiries honestly, as completely as I can. Please, no silly offers from traders.

There is a highly skilled motor engineer in Tiszafüred, who would love to rebuild the engine for a very reasonable price.

I would consider selling the car without the engine and/or gearbox, if that was the buyer's preference. I would also consider part exchange for a 4WD pick-up or possibly a really nice, well sorted Conquest Century Automatic with lots of provenance.

The price is negotiable.

Thanks for reading this.

Damian

Damian Mills

Re: 1957 CONQUEST CENTURY Mk2 AUTO

Post by Damian Mills »

I wanted to confirm that this car is still for sale, and to add information that I hope will be useful to any interested parties.

This car has been the subject of discussion on the Daimler Forum, the thread is titled "Buying (or not) a Conquest Century".

This is not a matching numbers car. The Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Production Record Trace Certificate (No. 18000) shows that the car was manufactured on 24 January 1957 with engine number 88218.

The failed and non-running engine, which is included in the sale, is an original Conquest Century engine. It is out of the car, and is partly stripped. It is engine number 88750, which is correctly shown on the V5C and is the number stamped on the builder's plate in the engine compartment. It was fitted at some point between 1957 and 1998 - I am sorry, this is as specific as I can be from the papers in my possession. The crank turns by hand, the cylinders are not stuck. The bottom end of the engine and the excellent Borg Warner DG 3-speed automatic gearbox are in my continuously heated workshop. The top end of the engine and the ancillaries are in my hall, and with my Health & Safety assessor hat on I would call them a serious trip hazard!

I need to find a good home for Delilah, who, along with her radiator, is standing patiently in my wife's dry and ventilated garage.

I remain open to sensible negotiations and/or deals. I would happily part exchange Delilah for a good Hungarian registered 4WD pick-up or 4WD jeep, or possibly for a very well sorted Hungarian registered classic MG, Triumph or Mercedes car. I have reluctantly concluded that I should not take on another elderly Daimler in Hungary.

The car is also advertised on carandclassic.co.uk (enter number c1060684 or just search for classic cars in Hungary) and on hasznaltauto.hu - there are pictures on both of those sites. I have more pictures, which I am very happy to email on request.

My asking price has been greatly reduced, and is now 1.4 million Forints.

Thanks for reading this.

Damian Mills (aka Danny, which I prefer)
DLOC Member No. 1418-18

Damian Mills

SOLD 1957 CONQUEST CENTURY Mk2 AUTO

Post by Damian Mills »

I am delighted to say that we found a new home for Delilah. She will live with a father and son, both classic car enthusiasts, in Papa in Western Hungary.

I have recommended DLOC to the new owners, who intend to restore Delilah over the next couple of years. They intend to register her as an Old Timer in Hungary, and to keep her for their use.

Danny