Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP and DB18 at Brightwells 4th Sept

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

SP and DB18 at Brightwells 4th Sept

Post by Sydsmith »

Looks like a worthwhile project 1962 SP250 a usable DB18 for auction on Wednesday next, bit of a come on price I would have said for the SP.
https://www.brightwells.com/classic-mot ... september/

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: SP and DB18 at Brightwells 4th Sept

Post by grahamemmett »

I cannot believe that somebody could write that white suits the DB18. Nothing further from the truth!
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Your talking Brightwells here Graham, a smart young chap in a grey suit will visit and assess and take pictures of the car, sit in your lounge and chat, agree a value then write something entirely different in the catalogue.

I agree, white in my estimation is a complete no no, except of course if you are in the wedding hire trade.

You have to wonder where the value of pre 1950's cars is going. The market has always been nostalgic and those who remember them in their childhood are getting a bit long in the tooth. Unlike pure vintage or veteran vehicles which have a novelty value, there is so far much lower appreciation of the value of larger pre 1950's cars. Smaller 7's and 10's seem to have their followers because they are "cute", but large vehicles seem to put folks off, not least perhaps because they need a lot of storage space and are thirsty.

621tyo

Post by 621tyo »

I couldn't agree more with that last message, I belong to a couple of other car clubs too and have represented them at shows in the UK and abroad, I have attended one car clubs national rally for the last 26 years, it's always held in a different location each year, club members of old are no longer with us and many of the owners that are attend in modern vehicles as it's too far for a classic in modern traffic.

Years ago, I could comfortably take a classic on a motorway at 50 mph and sit in amongst the lorries on long journeys, these days 50 mph is a farly hairy pace to be travelling at so I now tend to plan jourmeys using A or B roads. I honestly think many owners that have classic cars just aren't using them as much.

One last point re pre'50's motoring, many car shows I do attend which were once rammed with pre cars tend to be filled with post 70's cars, many even seem to cater for cars just 10 years or older. Be interesting to see the direction of travel in the coming years.

Cute as they were, earlier this year I sold my pre war Austin 7 and pre war Triumph Super 7 to purchase a Daimler specifically because the Daimler is a practical large car, more comfortable, easy to climb in and out of and completely useable for longer runs.

One can only hope whenever the time arises, should I ever come to part with the Daimler that there will be someone that will wish to use the Daimler for the same comfort and enjoyment that I intend to get from it. Let's hope there are still enthusiasts around that won't see their classics as assets but merely see them as a means of enjoyment.