Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1935 Daimler 15 for sale ebay

bop

1935 Daimler 15 for sale ebay

Post by bop »

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: 1935 Daimler 15 for sale ebay

Post by grahamemmett »

£250 maybe...
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Why do sellers make so little effort to make cars more presentable. It would not have taken much effort to make this so much more appealing.

He must be way out on price. I would have thought at less than half he might just have a chance and anyone who buys it might have a chance of making something of it. Syd

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

It's old so it must be worth a lot of money....

Ah But - it's a Daimler. Oh you mean a Mercedes? No - a Jaguar, y'know but not quite....
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I agree with you Syd - but as its only "just down the road" from me in Wolverhampton, as and when we are all released from house arrest I'll follow it up for anyone who has an interest.

That said, the cost of restoring it against its potential value when finished is somewhat debatable - notwithstanding (nice word that - lawyers use it a lot) its anyone's guess how the economy in general and the classic car market might fair after this pandemic.

In reality sadly it will probably end up as spares.

Regards to all.

Stan.

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

This guy has found quite a few cars over the years, and I suspect most end up as scrap.

Looking at the pics it looks like a well preserved example that has fallen on hard times.

Maybe too much unless someone us very brave !!

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

"Recently purchased Daimler, ripe for a special, sadly we were sold it after viewing photographs showing it more complete than it actually was."

Does anyone really buy a car based on pictures ?

(or does it say "honest, I really did pay a lot for this, hence the crazy price I want" )

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

You make an offer unseen, you go and look, it turns out it was badly described, you walk away, even on fleabay you have that option, you don't have to pay for something that is not what it was described as.

In this case from what we can see from his photographs, I think he has made a fair stab at the description. It is clearly a real handful, his only problem is he wants far too much for it. At the right price for someone with the energy the time and the money it would make a nice project. But it will take a huge amount of work and quite a few bob.

Stan's point about what happens next to car prices is a good one, like all investments if you can't stand a loss don't invest. I am fortunate that I have owned my three cars for some years and even if prices halved from today's values, I would not lose money.

I feel for anyone who paid over the top for cars in recent years, unless they are in it for the long haul they will lose money, always assuming they have to sell when the market bottoms as surely it must. Syd

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Good Afternoon All

It is another glorious afternoon here, west of Glasgow near Loch Lomond, hard to think that there are so many hard issues to face everywhere when sitting in glorious self-isolation on such a day. But, for we old car enthusiasts, will there be a "long haul" any more? If so for how much longer? Granted oil isn't going to run out soon as we were told for so long, but with the arrival of safe electric self-driving cars expected within a deecade or three, and climate change activism so well entrenched throughout the western world now, what IS the future for old petrol driven cars, how much longer can interest in them continue after petrol becomes a scarce and despised commodity? If this scenario isn't just around the corner within our lifetimes, what is going to slow the pace of change away from the internal combustion engine?

Apologies for the depressing tone, but I do wonder if/when reality is going to impact terminally on our wonderful passion.

Regards

"Fossil"!

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I think the hard line green people will be in for a difficult time. People have had a taste of the no holidays no flying no transport carbon free future. Some will have loved it but some will not wish it on their children and grandchildren so that will be a socio-political argument yet to be had. They may suffer it personally but not many parents want to see their children disadvantaged compared to the things they've had.

In the short to medium term, I really can't see a major diminishment in the overall availability of petrol. It's needed for so many pieces of machinery other than road going vehicles. Just thinking of home here, there's two generators, two ride on lawnmowers plus another petrol powered one, leaf suckers, debris collector, three petrol chainsaws, a cultivator, strimmer - all petrol powered and I'm on the bottom rung when it comes to this sort of thing, although (like a Miss World contestant "I hope one day to have a petrol powered earth auger as well, to help with global peace" . Petrol power is going to take some displacing until the power to battery life and weight ratio changes dramatically. Eventually, it'll end up a bit like paraffin which is still out there and widely used but is almost invisible to the average person, unless they pay the £7 + it costs at garden centres. Yes, we may have to plan our journeys more carefully and they may cost more but petrol will be around for a long time to come.

That's before we start to look at alternative fuels for our ICE devices to use and there could be hope down that road.

Cheer up, the future's still going to have that peculiar smell of partially consumed hydrocarbons !