Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

ebay 1950 Daimler Consort

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

ebay 1950 Daimler Consort

Post by Brian-H »

I should point out that this is nothing to do with me :!:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392783399155

So far 8 bids, £162, but 8 days to go yet

The sills are a mess, the bodywork round the back of the rear wings is a mess, but what is most interesting about this one is the condition of guttering.

In the thread about my Consort, I did mention that the wood in the roof has swelled out causing the roof to narrow the guttering. You can just about make out the same issue on this ebay one but, unlike mine, the metal in the roof has also started to fall apart. I don't know how anyone could put that right without firstly removing all the guttering and the wood in the roof.

I downloaded the pics and zoomed in to show what I mean

passenger side

driver side

passenger side

driver side

I'd guess that anyone bidding on that just wants it for parts

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Re: ebay 1950 Daimler Consort

Post by Brian-H »

"listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available" with about 5 days still left to go :shock:

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Steel expands as it rusts you have 2 layers gutter and roof so it is pushed out as timber is behind, it will expand 7 or more times its original thickness.

:roll: :roll:

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

That must be why the listing was ended early then

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

Re-advertised 10 days ago , went for :o :o :o £1,710 :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392807805742

8 bidders, 29 bids https://www.ebay.co.uk/bfl/viewbids/392807805742

I can only guess that GWV 321 made the sale so high

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

The seller stated the number was non-transferable.
I’ve just about finished dismantling one that was better than that. Crazy money.
On the other hand if you are selling.....
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

grahamemmett wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:21 pm The seller stated the number was non-transferable.
ooops yes indeed :oops: although that has been added to this later listing i.e. number not mentioned in the first listing

There were 5 bidders who took the bidding past £700 , l***0(37), 9***5(87), c***0(83), a***3(829), g***y(480) , presumably they were after the engine ??
"Engine running and transmission working a few years ago .... Less than 13000 miles genuine."

I'd bet that at least one of those bidders must be on this forum.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Must have wanted it pretty badly. An engine with no guarantees of the condition is £100-£200. Are they on the forum, let's see if anybody puts their hand up.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

The car itself would take hundreds of hours of metal shaping and welding just to put the body right so it can only be the engine (plus flywheel & gearbox) that they were after.

Looking more closely at the engine, it doesn't inspire confidence. The plug leads are relatively recent but messed about with, the rocker cover has been off and not put back properly, and in a picture of the offside of the engine (in original listing but removed from the later listing) there's at least one new core plug. So, "Engine running ...... a few years ago", plus, going by the picture of the car complete (end picture) which looks like a scan of a "film" type of photo, suggests "a few years ago" = a couple of decades ago.

But I suppose that, as long as the bores are ok and the piston rings are ok, the engine might be good for a swap for anyone with an engine blowing smoke.
Big big gamble for anyone to pay that much though.