Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Ex Wedding Hire Daimlers - near Nottingham

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Ex Wedding Hire Daimlers - near Nottingham

Post by migray »

Today I went to look at 4 Daimlers (and 2 Jaguars) that had been used as part of a wedding hire business. The lady who owned the cars with her partner has decided they should be sold and contacted the Club to see if they could advise. I was nominated to view them, so I will post details on here in case there is some interest:
A Barker bodied DB18 drop head 1949 which is in reasonable condition,
A 1963 2.5litre V8 which needs some work but doesn't look too bad, though it is missing its bonnet which some "helper" helped themselves to and disappeared.
A 1968 V8 250 which looks okayish.
A ds420 from 1983 which would only be good for parts - the chrome looks good on this

I will put a separate post for each with some pictures.

I suggest if you are interested that you get in touch with me and I will pass on the owner's contact details. The cars are in Ilkeston between Derby and Nottingham.

Mike Gray
Last edited by migray on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Ex Wedding Hire Daimlers - near Nottingham

Post by Petelang »

Hi Mike,
I've been in the wedding car business for ten years here in Nottingham and have no recollection of seeing any of these cars either in action or advertised. Extraordinary as I would for sure have noticed the Barker if seen on the road. Had they been in Ilkeston long?
That will make three car firms in the immediate area which have jacked in this year, good for me at least but of course, we're not actually doing anything at all at the moment.
After a furious toil all over the winter to get my squad ready for the season, it just hasn't happened. I did just one wedding in February then C19 put paid to everything we had planned. 2021 looks horrendously busy!
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

Hi Peter

I did ask the owner if she knew you but she didn't seem to know the name. Said someone near Derby had helped with some restoration on the DB18, she thought it was someone who was an official of DLOC?
They were based in Ilkeston and their website is still live though there are no pictures of the Daimlers. There is also a Mk 8 Jaguar for sale, said to be ex- John Prescott.
I think she probably should consign the cars to auction but she hoped the club might have people who would be interested.

Mike

Brian-H
Very Wise Man
Very Wise Man

Post by Brian-H »

migray wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:14 am Said someone near Derby had helped with some restoration on the DB18, she thought it was someone who was an official of DLOC?
Depending on how far "near Derby" and how long ago, it might have been the late Boyd-Carpenter, he lived in Derbyshire though a fair way north of Derby (I got various things from him 30 years ago when I lived in Nottingham)

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

I had a Daimler as my wedding car. I didn't actually see it much as it brought the bride while I was in the chappel. I believed it to be an early DB18 but it may have been a New Fifteen. I will have photos somewhere. This was at Risley Hall between Derby and Nottingham in 2002. Curious if that is a club car....