Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester 14

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Lanchester 14

Post by John-B »

Keef, did you drive it away from the auction - (before reading the instructions above)?

Did you already know about preselect gearboxes? How did it go?

keef

Post by keef »

I read the gearbox instructions last night during my hours of internet researching following my purchase.

The seller says he's only driven it locally so I've decided to have it transported the 200 miles back here to be on the safe side, plus the one way train fare was £170 with 5 changes and takes nearly six hours!

It'll probably spend the winter in my workshop while I explore it and get to know it a bit better and sort out the exhaust and any other niggles I find ready for next year. I'd better get to the back of the shed and find my imperial tools that haven't seen the light of day for years.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Keith, these cars are an absolute delight not only to own, but to drive as well, don't be put off by the Pre-Selector Gearbox, as they are very easy to use, and operate very smoothly.
Good luck with the restoration,be assured that if you need any advice or help, there will always be someone on here to give you a helping hand.

Best wishes A'l :D :D

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Keith, don't let them kid you the gearbox and gear selector pedal are simple, they do take a little time to master.

The problem I had was NOT to use the third pedal as a clutch in tight spots, when shuffling the car back and forward, the habit of sliding the clutch to ease the car forward is difficult to resist when you first drive the car.

I found the best remedy was to make sure that when you have selected the gear you want and depressed the selector pedal you make certain to take your foot off the third pedal and rest it flat on the floor, let the gearbox do the rest, "simples" but it does take practice.

Good luck with the project you have a fine drivers car.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Keith, not sure that I entirely agree with your comment, having never previously driven a car with a Pre-Selector Gearbox, I found it very easy to use.
I agree that initially, I was guilty of using the Selector occasionally as a "Clutch", as our Drive has slight incline, and the gap between ours and our neighbours house is relatively narrow, but now, I use the Brake pedal to control the car especially, when reversing into my Garage, which requires a "Dog Leg" manoeuvre to get the Old Girl into position.

Cheer's A'l :D :D

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I agree it's a beautifully simple and smooth system but I'm sure we've all been guilty of "clutching" on occasions at first ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

I tested the gearbox when I went to view and it's working perfectly - no slip and instant engagement.

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

keef

Post by keef »

I must admit, the car is 200 miles from me so I pretty much bought the car based on your comments following your viewing so thank you Neil.

I've just arranged for it to be transported back on Monday so I'm getting quite excited now.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Did you manage to "ease" the price with Alan??
Neil
Normal for Norfolk