Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester 14

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Lanchester 14

Post by watkindj »

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C883612
Text and Pictures below copied from listing as link will expire so added for historical reasons (not responsible for spellings)
8902707.jpg
8902705.jpg
Lanchester14 unfinished project much work done needs paint and trim drives well new tyres and brakes good reg number I think it was first registered on the isle of white in 1953 registered here 1956 to many projects
Price: £1800 As stated
Year: 1956
Region: Norfolk
Town: Great Yarmouth
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Lanchester 14

Post by theoldman »

Will go and investigate...................... :D
Normal for Norfolk

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Off tomorrow PM - it's only a few miles away............................
Normal for Norfolk

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

OK chaps, car viewed.

Bodywork is solid, alas marred by a crap respray on the bottom half, which is flaking off in places and shrinking on the top of the front o/s wing.

Floor is solid as is boot floor and the wells either side thereof. Bit of scaling on the door bottoms. Rear doors bubbling in usual place on bottom rear corner.

Door cards are off and need new timber cutting and the carpet replacing at the bottom. Someone has "had a go" at restoring the dash and made a "workmanlike" but odd looking job of it. The front seats have been re - covered in a material nothing like the colour of the rear..................The bonnet escutcheon is missing. The fuel gauge is inoperative. The rear window needs a new rubber (with car, just not fitted) Front has been replaced. Trafficators don't work but it has flashers.

Bumpers/overriders need a re - chrome or powder coat, but nave plates best i've seen for a long time.

mechanically good, gearbox OK but the usual LJ noisy timing chain (which can be adjusted) Exhaust system is a bodge job and goes UNDER the rear axle resulting in "scrrpp, scrrpp" every time you go over a bump.

All in all a reasonably sound and easy project which can be a rolling restoration.

I think Alan will take a bid.........................

Neil

Ps - he has a clutch of motorbikes including two BSAs and the most beautiful Phase II Vanguard Vignale.........................
Normal for Norfolk

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Darren, sorry but I will have to deduct 10 points from you score card ,re the spelling below!!
the isle of white in 1953 registered here 1956 to many projects

Actually it's The Isle of Wight, I do happen to know this, as I was born there! :D :D

Cheers A'l :D :D

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Now Mr Wheatley it ill behoves you to criticise Darren for his mis-use of lower case or incorrect English!!! :lol:

watkindj
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by watkindj »

Big A'l wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:09 pm Hi Darren, sorry but I will have to deduct 10 points from you score card ,re the spelling below!!
the isle of white in 1953 registered here 1956 to many projects

Actually it's The Isle of Wight, I do happen to know this, as I was born there! :D :D

Cheers A'l :D :D
Copied as per advert A'l, as it says in red in original post, not responsible for the content of other people's spelling mistakes.
Darren
South Cambridgeshire
XJ Registrar &
LD10 Registrar
LD10 Website Webmaster Incorporating (Worldwide Lanchester LD10 Register)
http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

O'h, shock,horror, not another Bloomi'n Isle of Wighter over e'r, where bouts were you born on the Island ? I was born at Northwood , Pallance Road, actually, but the family moved over to the mainland around 1958 ,when my father transferred from Westlands in Cowes to work at Westland Helicopters in Yeovil.

Cheers A'l :D

keef

Post by keef »

Hi all, this is my first post as I seem to have had an impulse moment and bought this car on ebay tonight.

I know absolutely nothing about Lanchesters so a steep learning curve is about to begin.

Among the million questions that are going through my mind at the moment is

Are parts available or very rare?

Why are these cars such good value compared to other similar aged cars?

Have I made a mistake? (it wouldn't be the first and I'm sure it wouldn't be the last :lol: )

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

If you looking for something different to drive then you may have bought the right car,please read about learning to drive a preselect gearbox https://daimlerandlanchester.com/how-to ... -selector/.
This will save damage as the change pedal what some have tried to use like a clutch pedal needs to be used in the correct manner, once learn't it is a pleasure to drive and save the gearbox.
Parts are available as some are made for other cars and other parts are available on ebay,yes you may have to search but help is always available on here.
Well done another Lanchester owner on the forum .

Peter