Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

BCE 170 Lanchester 10 1935 on ebay

Simon Hyslop

BCE 170 Lanchester 10 1935 on ebay

Post by Simon Hyslop »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173154313346?ul_noapp=true

Hopefully this will go to someone who can make a good job of keeping it running and original. Is there nearly anywhere in Britain, I wonder, that didn't have a little old lady or retired services officer that had a Lanchester 10 which was hardly used ?

The ad says it's 1303cc, which I took to be 1203cc but the manifold and rocker cover look like the 1444cc type. Engine niumber 25598, chassis no 28235. Good to see a fair bit of bidding on it - 10 bidders so far - and it'll be interesting to see how much it finally goes for. With an original set of headlight lenses (and sidelights? - they have a bit too much of a lean forward, surely, to have ever been original but the good news is that SVC have new 1130s back in stock ) it will be a good machine for someone to improve and use.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: BCE 170 Lanchester 10 1935 on ebay

Post by Sydsmith »

Looks properly prepared for sale, the vendor has thought his posting out well and made a good job of presenting it, which is rare these days, he deserves to get a good price.

Nice project for you Big Al :D

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Headlights look to have the conversion to later units so not the same as original you can see a step in the chrome rims, i have a set of these on a car so they must have been a conversion made in 50's /60's i would have thought .
Still a car that has had little changed and as near original as possible if it was used.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

And it's back again, unsold due to non payment :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1935-Lanches ... SwPOhagHY2

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Mike Andrews, looked at this Lanchester very recently, below are his observations.

This was sent to me by Mike, prior to it being re-listed due to non payment by previous bidder!

I'm just back from looking at the green one owner 10 in Lincs. It's all there, engine sounds good, fan bearing is shot. The main problem seems to be that there is nothing supporting the roof panels, you can push the metal and it sounds like an empty biscuit tin. There is woodworm in all the places where you can see wood. The sliding panel is there and works sort of. The headlining has rotted around the rear window and front cantrail. A posts seem solid. The front seat cushions have been recovered in non matching green. It appears to have been last used around 1996.
All in all it is an honest and complete car but I think it really needs a complete restoration and that is not for me. The bidding has got to about £5.5k. The owner asked me what I thought it was worth and I said that I felt he should be happy with the current bid as long as he gets paid!
I couldn't get to the bottom of the engine issue, the vendor said he had checked the engine number against the V11 and the numbers match. I couldn't check against the buff log book as this was not available.

Yes it certainly has the 1444 cc engine fitted, could be a nice project !

Cheers Al :D