Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1934 Lanchester 12/6 1934 for sale

ttajf

1934 Lanchester 12/6 1934 for sale

Post by ttajf »

I have for sale my lovely little Lanchester 12/6 for sale, "Jessie" which is an "Oily Rag" spec car, which is totally original condition with good body condition for an 80 year old car, all mechanical s are in good running order, this is a very reliable car.
There is an extensive file going back to day 1 with the Buff log book, papers and pictures etc to help you enjoy ownership.
Since I have owned her the rear springs have been remade to the same spec and the tank has been cleaned and sealed, the ignition system has been replaced. The engine was rebuilt by the previous owner (2nd) and uses very little oil, no smoke when running. 5 good tyres and a selection of spares included if I get at the asking price of £8000.
Please call me and I can send some pictures if you like or come and have a look,
All the best
Tony Fardoe
Kind regards
Tony Fardoe
Chairman DLOC.

frenchy

Re: 1934 Lanchester 12/6 1934 for sale

Post by frenchy »

Some pictures would be appreciated, Regards Frenchy.

frenchy

Post by frenchy »

Someone educate me, what is the 12/6, I have seen one light six with the 1378cc engine but not a 12/6. Is it the early fixed head roadrider with the bored out light six engine??

Regards Frenchy

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

The 12/6 is the light six, 1378cc. There was a fad in the early 30s for small bore small capacity six cylinder engines. Because the road tax was based on the bore of the cylinder as opposed to the capacity of the cylinder, Britain suffered with long stroke small bore engines. Great for lasting long but terrible for producing real hp as opposed to RAC calculated hp. Most makers produced some specimen of small six, possibly the worst offender being Morris with a 10/6. Austin's 12/6 was a clunker, often called the 'Kensitas' car because 100 of them were given away in a draw run by the cigarette maker. By about 1936 most of the makers had realised that the ccs per cylinder were simply too small and so the Lanchester 12/6, with the fixed head a la Bentley, became a 14/6 as did the Austin 12/6 which was quietly dropped re-emerging as a 1.6 litre for the UK market and a 1.8 for overseas.

Although the fixed head removed cylinder gasket problems, what it didn't do was remove the need for the all too frequent de-coking in the 30s. Once an owner had coughed up the extra a couple of times for their fixed head engine to be taken apart, they would be thinking twice about their next purchase and so the move away from fixed head designs to conventional ones. Six cylinder engines are probably well suited now to better roads with fewer snap hills and a more constant traffic speed.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Why did Triumph produce the Vitesse at 1600 cc straight 6?

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I think it was down to the power train, or rather, the deficiencies therein. It does seem a bit odd because the 2 litre engine came first and then the 1600cc but the Herald gearbox and rear axle may have been rather underspecified for the 2 litre engine. A stronger gearbox and diff came with the 2 litre version so probably it was a cheap way to have a six cylinder 4 seater on the market using the existing components at their disposal.

ttajf

Post by ttajf »

Gents, a few pictures ( i hope?) of the 12/6 AKV 49
Attachments
AKV49 enjoying the sun
AKV49 enjoying the sun
AKV49
AKV49
1378cc 12 hp 6 cylinder
1378cc 12 hp 6 cylinder
Kind regards