Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Modifications

David S

Re: SP250 Modifications

Post by David S »

I crashed my SP into a new Volvo on the raised section of the M6 during the 50th anniversary celebrations.

Fortunately we were in a slow moving traffic queue and the accident was at walking pace, but it still spoilt some fiberglass and my pride.
The problem was the rear steel brake pipe that had been wearing against the back axle. It turned out that this wearing was because I had fitted new rear springs and that seems to have moved the axle's position slightly, also with all the extra weight in the boot it caused the contact that had worn the brake pipe away. I missed Quentin Wilson's Speech - Booooo!

Was I lucky or unlucky - you choose - but I survived.

The point is, dual circuit with 4 pot calipers would have saved the embarrasment and I still think they are a very sensible modification.

Jez

Post by Jez »

This subject always creates debate, frequently with more heat than light. My own preference is to keep in the spirit of the car and it's age but to modify for reasons of usability. Hence my own car has an overdrive, rather than a 5 speed, and an electric cooling fan. I also have an alternator and r&p steering, both of which were already fitted when I got the car and I'm not worried enough about originality to the level of spending money to make a retrograde step. Likewise with the electronic ignition.

I haven't converted to dual circuit brakes but I can see the attraction in doing so. I've put hazard lights on the MG but still need to get around to it on the Daimler. I've modified the camber to suit modern radial tyres, but I retain the original springs, dampers etc.

For me, other than those that buy and treat their cars as investments rather than a hobby, it's all about personal taste.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

BARRY COPE

Post by BARRY COPE »

my latest SP250 has quit a few mods that my old one did not have, so i am able to compare the benefits, or disadvantages of them.
Rack and pinon steering is a must, especially if you can get a Triumph Herald steering column, because it has self cancelling indicators. I used the mountings designed by David Barton.
Waterless coolant is expensive and a uprated radiator core is better.
DO NOT powdercoat the chassis. mine is flaking badly. unless it is perfectly cleaned before, it will flake and allow water to creep under it. A good coat of hammerite is better, you can always touch it up.
The poly bushes, i think transmit breaking vibrations on my car.
I now have a Toyota 5 speed gearbox. i think i prefered the overdrive.
I have Triumph TR7 seats. You sit about 2 inches lower in them, the runners work and they come with inertia reel seatbelts.
I have telescopic rear shocks and don`t find them any better than the leaver arms the i had reconditioned.
You will have to have an electric fan to make room for the steering rack, so an alternater is a must to cope with it.
i hope this is of some use.
best or luck
Barry

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

R&P is not a must, just means your W&P is not correctly set up with the right camber and castor angles, if you are not using it as an everyday car you don't need an alternator either, actually it's probably cheaper to fit LED headlamps in place of halogen than fit an alternator. There is actually nothing wrong with the seats either, I spent quite a few journeys from the south coast to the Clyde area without discomfort, my head never fell off due to lack of head rests either, perhaps a TR6 should have been your choice or even a Stag
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Josef Eckert

Post by Josef Eckert »

Ian,
I am fully with you. But there are always people who need to modify as they have plenty of spare time or money they do not know where to spend. Or they need the modifications for their personal salvation. When they see their car they always think what can I do next to disturb the running system.
Sorry, I am a bit sarcastic.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

dansdaimler

Post by dansdaimler »

I have read this thread with a lot of interest as I am building my sp250 up from the frame
20170224_155802.jpg
I would like to (one day) drive it regularly but enjoy it for what it is-a fun, zippy car with handling characteristics of cars from the 1950s. I am even contemplating putting back bias ply tyres! I think the biggest change I will make from original may be to change the colours and even that I am hesitant to!
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Ian, Its not a head rest it is a head restraint. One of those safety features that became common in the seventies. I never bothered with them in my road car but I did attach them to a roll bar I fitted in one of my Darts.

Dansdaimler, I did fit crossplys (which cost me more than radials) and found them an absolute hoot. Steering with your right foot on roundabouts is an experience not to be missed. I did a track day at Caldwell Park, a small twisty track, and was smiling for weeks after.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Big Col wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:25 pm Dansdaimler, I did fit crossplys (which cost me more than radials) and found them an absolute hoot. Steering with your right foot on roundabouts is an experience not to be missed. I did a track day at Caldwell Park, a small twisty track, and was smiling for weeks after.
Yes, my brother spun my Dart at 2am on the road to Cambridge by taking a roundabout at a reasonable speed, but lost control. I watched a tree through the left window, then saw it again through the right one.

I changed the tyres to Avon radials 185x15 as soon as I could. Amazingly better.

Josef Eckert

Post by Josef Eckert »

John-B wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:07 pm
Big Col wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:25 pm Dansdaimler, I did fit crossplys (which cost me more than radials) and found them an absolute hoot. Steering with your right foot on roundabouts is an experience not to be missed. I did a track day at Caldwell Park, a small twisty track, and was smiling for weeks after.
Yes, my brother spun my Dart at 2am on the road to Cambridge by taking a roundabout at a reasonable speed, but lost control. I watched a tree through the left window, then saw it again through the right one.

I changed the tyres to Avon radials 185x15 as soon as I could. Amazingly better.
Sometimes better driving skills and to know the car you are driving could help. I had a Volkswagen Beetle for many years with crossplies. The car was a lot of fun to drive. One time it was stolen, but they didn´t come far. After 1 mile the car was crashed with a bridge pillar following a 90° turn.
Actually I have 3 classic cars with crossplies fitted. They are just fun to drive.
I do not need to drive them in daily madness. For that a modern workhorse is the better alternative.

dansdaimler

Post by dansdaimler »

Big Col wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:25 pm
Dansdaimler, I did fit crossplys (which cost me more than radials) and found them an absolute hoot. Steering with your right foot on roundabouts is an experience not to be missed. I did a track day at Caldwell Park, a small twisty track, and was smiling for weeks after.
At the end of the day, no matter what modification you make, that's what it is all about.
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250