Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

E Bay Scams

faeton

E Bay Scams

Post by faeton »

Has anyone noticed the amount of good classic cars listed on E bay with a 99p starting price . This is an obvious scam , Why does EBay allow this practice to continue , All these sales follow a similar pattern with a listed buy it now or classified price . Dave

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: E Bay Scams

Post by Sydsmith »

Don't get me started Dave, it is sick making that fleabay should be legally able to allow these scams without any penalty, but if you make the slightest error in a retail shop you are up to your neck in trading standards before you can turn round.

My favourite gripe at the moment is they allow Chinese traders to list stuff as if they are in the UK and it is only when you have paid you find out the stuff is in China.

If you notify them of a problem they will acknowledge your email but do nothing for several days. If we can de-list stuff instantly why cant they do the same with these scamers?

Most of the duff listing appear on stolen names of dormant accounts.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

There are two adverts I've landed on, quite independently, and both display the same format. 99p, Buy It now price significantly "tempting". The ad says, "Not my car but phone my sister on..... and she can tell you about it. " The first one that caught my eye was an Austin 16, the postwar type, which I remembered the original photo from an advert three or four years ago. The car was parked beside a bridge and the grainy, probably scanned and copied version, had the number removed. The second displayed similar characteristics. Perhaps the hope is that in order to secure this bargain, someone will instantly transfer at least a deposit, maybe more, and I suppose if you got a few of those, you'd be able to fund your nefarious activities.

Something appears to be going on and increasingly ebay looks like a very unsafe place to buy on without viewing, which is a pity for the genuine sellers and people who liked the 'cars by post' concept.

faeton

Post by faeton »

I have just looked at these ads on EBay I looked at sellers other items . There are over 200 items listed from classic cars to jet skis by the same scammer . ,All starting at 99 p , All ads are the same ,"Selling for a relative ," All with a low price . As someone who is a strong believer in the saying "If it seems to good to be true it usually is ",I find it hard to believe that anyone is naïve enough to fall for this . I for one will never buy from this site until it gets its act together . Dvae

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

All been removed fleabay wakes up at last :-) :-)