Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Contact point sets problem

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Contact point sets problem

Post by Culbu »

We agree ! That’s a good beginning !

The contact points are cleaned. The problem should come from the gap of the first contact points set, probably too small.

Thanks

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Ian wrote :

"It is only possible to have a spark when the second contacts open, the action is 1. both contacts closed on the flat of the distributor cam, 2. first point opens as it comes onto the cam, 2.second point opens as it comes onto the cam, first points stay open and spark is present."

Step 2 : when the second points set opens (as it comes onto the cam), a spark appears, but does a spark appear too at the first points set, stayed opened ?

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Culbu wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:51 pm Ian wrote :

"It is only possible to have a spark when the second contacts open, the action is 1. both contacts closed on the flat of the distributor cam, 2. first point opens as it comes onto the cam, 2.second point opens as it comes onto the cam, first points stay open and spark is present."

Step 2 : when the second points set opens (as it comes onto the cam), a spark appears, but does a spark appear too at the first points set, stayed opened ?
No, if that is happening then the second points are not closing or they are not connected correctly and for some reason they are open circuit to earth when closed, check the wiring, it is possible you have an insulator washer in the wrong place. The two sprung arms should be connected together via the second green wire. ( ie the one not connected to the capacitor/condensor)
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

I have a Lumination setup in my dizzy, so dont have problem with fthe double set points. But I remember that only one is lightning the sparks.
When I installed the Lumination sensor in the dizzy, I have chosen the wrong set points place and the engine didn't rews well.
An other question, you say the two set points are in series. In this case, only the opening of one will provide sparks.
Sorry for my english
Robert
What looks right is right

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

It doesn't matter which position you use for the Luminition, the trick is to set up on points, connect a timing light, fire up the engine and note the RPM on idle and mark the dynamic position mark from the damper to the timing chain case, fit the Luminition and adjust the distributor to line up the new dynamic timing marks ensuring the idle speed is the same.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Hi guys,

I increased the contact points gap of one of the contact points sets and the engine starts immediately. I adjusted the ignition timing at 10• BTDC and the result is good. The last step is to adjust the Dwell angle but to be honest with you, I do not know how test it with my Gunson Lamp !! 😬😬😬

Lomh 13, you’re right when you say that only one of the two contact points sets sparks !

Thanks everybody for your help

lomh 13

Post by lomh 13 »

Ian Slade wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:40 am It doesn't matter which position you use for the Luminition, the trick is to set up on points, connect a timing light, fire up the engine and note the RPM on idle and mark the dynamic position mark from the damper to the timing chain case, fit the Luminition and adjust the distributor to line up the new dynamic timing marks ensuring the idle speed is the same.
The problem was that I had no points in my dizzy to set up with points before fitting the Luminition. And starting from scratch on one of the two positions, it didn't work.
Robert
What looks right is right