Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wiring harness routing SP250 B type LHD

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Wiring harness routing SP250 B type LHD

Post by John-B »

For RHD cars, look at the attached photo. You can see the petrol (gas) filter and the top of the windscreen washer bottle. The starter solenoid is lower down between them. In my car the battery and starter motor are on the same side as the solenoid, but I know that some LHD cars have the battery on the other side, so perhaps this doesn't apply to your LHD car.
17855729930_2c32dd0275_b.jpg

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

It is mounted on the LH inner guard just above the starter motor, same as RHD cars. The battery position is reversed as is steering column wiring.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Not the easiest thing to photograph in situ, but these rather blurry shots of the solenoid in two different cars may help...
Sol3.jpg
Sol2.jpg
The black and white 'stick' in the first piccie is a rule.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

wadams

Post by wadams »

Ian Hastings wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:30 am I have just recently completed this job but luckily I had the foresight to attach a mousing wire when the old loom was pulled out so the new cables went in quite easily along the sill.
The hardest bit was getting the cable over the mudguard and into the boot, even with the mouse wire, but with much struggling, skinned knuckles and expletives later it went through.
Hi Ian
Can you advise precisely the entry and exit points for the loom from the front to the rear of my RHD please? I am trying to find out why my indicators and rear lights are coming on all at the same time! I am doing some winter maintenance and found this wiring problem. I also found some evidence of mice which makes me think they have eaten through the wires somewhere but I cant see where at the moment!

Cheers

Wayne

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi, As stated by Soundmike, the solenoid is mounted on LHS ie. on the same side as your steering wheel [in your case].

Dave.

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

Hi Wayne
I had two problems, mice had had a banquet on my loom around the hole where it passes through the bulkhead to behind the dash and also there was a short in the rear number plate light which burnt out the whole loom from front to back. I had repaired the mouse damage then some time later the short occurred, luckily I caught it in time before a real fire started as the car filled with smoke so I suspected something was wrong!
The most likely mouse eating area is the flat surface in front of the bulkhead above the brakes or in the boot above and behind the mudguard where the wires come into the boot. You will need to remove the petrol tank cover to be able to see into that space. Another spot is in the space between the B post and the mudguard, accessible once you remove the paneling at the side of the rear seat. Examine all the wiring in the boot ie to the lights, petrol pump, petrol guage etc. It has also been known for luggage movement in the boot to fray wires causing shorts and fires.
If you cannot find any problems in the boot I would suggest you disconnect everything and remove the rubber connectors, tape up the wires and attach a mousing wire or rope and remove all the rear wiring by pulling it through from the front. You will find the loom entry hole at the top of the A post behind the bulkhead after you remove all the upholstery panels, carpet etc. If you follow the wires from the bulkhead hole you will see the loom splits in two, one bit going to behind the dash and the smaller branch to the A post hole. Once it is all pulled out you will be able to examine/repair/replace as required. It's not difficult just fiddly and time consuming.
Assuming the mousing wire is still in place the wires can be pulled back through, firstly into the space behind the B post then rearwards into the boot by going over the mudguard. This was the bit I found the hardest as the space is very tight.
Be careful to check all the light fittings for tight connections, good earthing wires and bulb holders that hold the bulbs firmly. In my number plate light the heat of the bulb had softened a plastic base that held the bulb holder allowing it to move and short out against the frame - it was an aftermarket light fitting and not the correct SP one.
I hope that helps, let me know if you need more info.
Ian

wadams

Post by wadams »

Hi Ian

Wow! Thank you for such a detailed response, it is much appreciated. I will make a start on finding the problem and let you know how it goes.

Thanks a million.

Wayne

wadams

Post by wadams »

Hi Ian
Your response to my last question was excellent thank you. One more question I have is; if mice have built their nest in the cull itself, how would I ensure I get that nest out? Do you have any experience/knowledge regards this please?

Many thanks

Wayne

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

I haven't a clue. It depends where it is and what access you have.
Maybe a powerful airline might shift it.

wadams

Post by wadams »

Ok, thanks Ian. I will get creative and rise to the challenge.