Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 door window reassembly - C series

Martyn Ross

SP250 door window reassembly - C series

Post by Martyn Ross »

The drivers door window parted with the bottom channel so would not work.

I'd had trouble with this before and discovered the cunning use of wire to hold the glass in position on the channel at the back, but the problem persisted so I've taken the channel out and removed the 50 year old rubber that wasn't doing much, planning to replace it with a polymer sealant/adhesive in which the glass is positioned before it goes off (thanks to Brian Purves for the tip).
Now the channel is out of the car and has been cleaned up I can see that there was - at some time - the same cunning wire fastener at the front of the window/channel as well.
Do any SP250 sages know the best way to reassemble as I think I have to fit the front wire before the window/channel drops into the door and the glass is shorter than the channel by about 1" at each end - so does the glass sit centrally in the channel ?

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SP250 door window reassembly - C series

Post by Ian Slade »

They were a very tight fit in the channel which is quite substantial when using the correct rubber, one had to be very careful when pressing it in use no metal and ensure the channel is well supported, get it wrong and the window shatters. What is this wire? has the window mechanism been modified to a wire drive, the front and rear guides continue into the door therefore the channel cannot be longer than the window, the window must be wider than the channel, the winder mechanism is 2 arms and a quadrant driven by pinion on the end of the handle
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Martyn Ross

Post by Martyn Ross »

Ian

Apologies for not being clearer with the description.

The channel is the metal 'trough' that the glass sits in at the base.

The mechanism is standard - at least it corresponds with the illustrations in the manual and the glass has rubber/felt guides on both vertical sides to guide it on it's upward/downward travel.
The wires hold the glass to the 'trough; - which is the part that the mechanism makes rise and fall.......I guess if if the wires were not there the glass would probably not retract down into the the door.

Martyn

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Martyn,
OK, the wire is not standard the trough/channel with the rubber insert in the channel is plenty strong enough to hold the glass in place, as I said it needs a lot of pressure to fit it into the channel, the rubber is a cloth mix to avoid tearing when the glass is inserted. It can be seen in page Q16 figure Q20 that the channel fits inside the chrome frame, though that is a A spec door the window mechanism is the same on the C spec, my car is a C spec, are you saying the wire is fitted via holes in the chrome window trim and channel? if so the wrong rubber has been fitted. Plate 29 of the Parts Catalogue shows in better detail.

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi Martyn,
I have had to replace a side glass recently. I used the original rubber and rather than chance breaking the glass, I used Gorilla glue to attach the glass to the steel channel, [with the rubber inserted].
I think the wires you talk about must be non-standard. I have had 4 Darts and I have never seen anything like you describe.

Dave.

Martyn Ross

Post by Martyn Ross »

Wow - I must have a unique SP 250 - except I imagine they all are.......

As you can see from the photo there's a hole in the window frame and one in the bottom channel - I've even got the old bit of wire in the shot that holds them together.
Having taken them apart the question is how to reassemble: it's going to be a lot easier to wire the two parts together before I lower them into the door slot but as the channel measures 500mm and the bottom of the glass frame 560mm the question is it it fixed centrally?
Attachments
SP 250 window.jpg

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The channel fits to the rear of the window, ensure the chrome frame is tight to the glass then squeeze the channel on just touching the chrome frame. The important point is that the location holes in the channel for the arms never line up in normal operation thus allowing the arms to fall out of the channel

TomBailey

Post by TomBailey »

I'd say that wire is almost certainly an aftermarket addition!

I blasted and painted the bottom rail then refitted the glass with some new rubber I got from Woolies trim that is very similar to the original using a rubber mallet. It was tight....but not impossible. I didn't like the bonding idea as I wasn't sure where the rail position needed to be on the glass.

I also replaced the channel felts at the same time.

kent sutton

Post by kent sutton »

Dear Martyn
I couldn't quite work out what wire you were talking about but on re-looking at your post I now see the light!!!
The bottom frame on the window has come adrift (as it did with mine) and to locate the frame to the glass some one in the past has tried to wire the frame to the chrome window surround. Not surprisingly this has not worked.
I attached the bottom frame to the window glass with Araldite using the original rubber. For the correct positioning of the frame check the other door; I assume it is working OK.
Fitting is quite straight forward as long as you hold your tongue in the correct place and use the appropriate amount of smoke supported by mirrors!!!!!
Seriously on fitting the window drop the glass down into the door slot first having slackened the bottom locating bolts of each window frame.
Fit the window winder mechanism to the slots on the bottom frame by totally undoing it's mounting screws; this enables you to fit the wheels in the large hole at the end of the frame and move them along the slide so that when you refit the window winding mechanism mounting screws the slides cannot move that far back to reach the fitting holes.
Basically what I am saying is have everything slack or dismounted on fitting. May seem strange advice but examine carefully and all should become clear!!!!!(as mud)
Next comes adjustment of the whole lot to get it all to work properly, put aside at least a week for this!!!!
Hope this helps
Yours
Kent

Marc Mears

Post by Marc Mears »

When I did mine - I used new rubber and also this product
http://www.ct1ltd.com/en/ct1.html
Put the rubber in the channel and a light coating if the sealant to both the steel channel and the inside of the rubber.
When I took it to bits I noted where they should sit – so no guessing where the steel channel should go.
It was also used to secure the re chromed side window surround without rubber - had worked very well – a good product
Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. XK 150 ots .BMW 3.0 CSL 73. Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Citroen Mehari