Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

What did you do with your Daimler today?

Crossley Stephenson

What did you do with your Daimler today?

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

To start this topic - today I drove from Adelaide to Melbourne (861km) only stopping for fuel - twice. My SP performed fabulously 3-4 hour stretches at 100-110 kph, no issues. The temp gauge remained in the 'normal' range putting to rest my fears that my engine runs a bit on the warm side. Fuel consumption - 30 mpg!

Loved every minute!

Over to you,
Michael

John-B
Site Admin

Re: What did you do with your Daimler today?

Post by John-B »

It's raining hard so my Dart is well tucked up in bed.

I don't feel like doing any housework, so I've been online to buy some touch-up paint because the Dart window has been rattling and rubbing the side of the hardtop. I may stick a piece of seal there if I can find anything suitable.

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

Drove to Noerdlingen about 150 kms northwest of Munich. Car performed faultlessly, a fabulous drive, culminating in a visit visit to the Bavarian steam traction museum there, a really good place to visit, very active.
Spent the night nearby and tried to head home then the most innaccessable hose under carbs and intake failed but not too much to call assistance. Managed to re-fit hose/clamp on slightly different position (incredibly fiddly) and had to to top up twice once with 4-5 liters!! Good that temp gauge has been checked against digi thermometer and was very cautious driving home! Eventually took autobahn driving slowly and as car was a lot more settled without gear changing, curves, country lane road surface imperfections and did'nt loose another drop. (my theory).
At least the weather was kind and the wife discovered the leak in shady car park cum camper van area....lots of help, sympathy and water!
This is what it was like :
Attachments
IMG-20160926-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20160926-WA0019.jpg

spnx

Post by spnx »

Looked longingly at a photo of it sitting 3000 kms away and wished I could drive it for the first time.

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

Drove my 2.5L V8 off the ramp in the barn and parked it outside by the dumper so that the farrier could get his van in. Drove it back onto the ramp once he'd gone. Inspected the small puddle of transmission fluid on the ground and thought to myself that I was gradually reducing the leaks.

RadfordJim

Post by RadfordJim »

I opened a parcel from Barry Thorne containing a new wiper cable rack and two wheelboxes to replace the badly worn existing ones - my job for the weekend Hopefully wipers will then sweep 130 degrees instead of 90 from park to vertical.
Jim in Coventry - Home of the Daimler

Jez

Post by Jez »

Drove home after spending the weekend at the historic racing in Angouleme followed by a bit of a tour around. A great event, thoroughly recommended. On the Daimler front, no mechanical issues to add to the list although still need to attend to leaking hood, some paintwork, an occasional brake squeal etc etc. Total 1500 miles averaging 28 - 29 mpg on a mixture of 80 mph autoroute and more leisurely regular routes.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys