Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cam chain position

David S

Cam chain position

Post by David S »

I have been working on my engine and taken the crank shaft out. Before removing the timing gears & Chain I made a note saying there are 17 links between the two dots on the cam sprocket and the 'front' stamping on the crank sprocket. I then put it away with zip ties on as an assembly.
Now I have a new chain ready to fit so I've got the assembly out.
I took the assembly and marked the crank sprocket & chain with tippex near the keyway and marked the cam sprocket & chain on its edge.
Now when I come to compare my 'assembly' notes of 17 links with the tippex marks there seems to be a difference.
So I referred to the manual but I don't think it is very clear and I really want to get it right first time so please, has someone got a photo of their timing chain assembly to help me be absolutely sure which is correct.

silverdart

Re: Cam chain position

Post by silverdart »

I have rebuilt various Dart engines and have never had a problem with the timing chain etc.
Looking at page D30, in the workshop manual the picture is pretty clear. You do of course need to have the damper fitted to tension the chain.
I think if you were one tooth out with either of the sprockets, you would immediately notice the error.
[Obviously I am assuming you have a workshop manual].

Dave.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

silverdart wrote: [Obviously I am assuming you have a workshop manual].

Dave.
Just in case you don't, this is the picture Dave's referring to...
1-Capture.JPG
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

David S

Post by David S »

Thanks to both of you!
My manual has not such a good picture and this will certainly help.
Maybe it is just a confidence thing?
I just wish I could count the full links [or rivets] between the marks!
David

dansdaimler

Post by dansdaimler »

If you set up the dots as shown, you will notice that being a tooth off on either pulley will show an obvious misalignment. Make sure all the slack is on the side of the tensioner.
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250

David S

Post by David S »

Thanks for the help fellows, my engine's re-assembly has slowed as I am struggling to fit the rear seal, which is the later type and like rope rather than piston rings.
I am reliably advised to cut it 1//16th too long at each end but it seems to flair out rather than compress into the groove.
more seal on order.....

At lease it is cold and dark so I don't miss using it too much.
However, a friend came here yesterday and took me for a ride in his Lomax.
GREAT!!! and much smoother ride than you'd think.