Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler mk2 v8 1966 distributor problem

John-B
Site Admin

Daimler mk2 v8 1966 distributor problem

Post by John-B »

Message from Robin Hardy (username : Daimlerv8) posted as a guest:

I own the above car and have a problem with trying to start the car, it seems the two sets of points in distributor, only one set produces a spark I have renewed both sets and checked wiring in distributor. There is hardly any HT voltage from coil,I have renewed coil but this has not solved the problem also renewed voltage regulator, have renewed condenser, starter button on bulkhead, (under bonnet), but still a problem checked earth straps. Still a problem, would you or your members have any other ideas, I am really scratching my head, any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Robin Hardy

Kbeal

Re: Daimler mk2 v8 1966 distributor problem

Post by Kbeal »

Have you checked that the HT leads (including the one from the coil) are connecting in the distributor cap? There have been a number of instances of late where the 'acorns' haven't had long enough threads resulting in poor or no contact in the distributor cap. Similarly check the continuity on the LT wire for shorts / breaks.

Also, just to compound the issue there have been some less than good condensers around.

Hope this helps rather than hinders,

Kevin

Daimlerv8

Post by Daimlerv8 »

Thanks Kevin I'll get this checked out.Robin

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

AFAIU the two sets of contacts will only produce one spark because they are designed to overlap see here for a description of a dual points distributor, so you may be barking up the wrong tree.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

As Patrick says , the function of the two sets of points is to prolong the dwell period with an eight lobe distributor . As a result, the spark should occur in respect of any given cylinder only when the second set of points (in the direction of rotation ) opens . You can check coil and - to some extent - the condenser by flicking the points open with the main lead from coil to distributor held close to part of the cylinder head when you should get a good fat spark