Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 saloon, from power steering to manual

Ben R

V8 saloon, from power steering to manual

Post by Ben R »

Good morning!
I'm considering switching my factory fitted v8 saloon Burman power steering box for standard manual box.

I'm on my second Burman unit after a seal blow out on the last, and sure, it works ok, but its leaky, doesnt give that much assistance, but worst of all, its kind of stiff, and doesnt really allow the wheels to autocorrect back to a straight line, so i'm always making minor adjustments.

Another worry is that i was picking boxes up for under £100, but recently the price has spiked, and the reports i have read on rebuilds seem patchy.

I recently drove a friends v8 with manual steering, and it was far more responsive, precise, and freely autocorrected, and doesnt leak!

I'd be glad to know anyones thoughts on this and just how good the Burman unit can be, when fully rebuilt. Also, there must be other boxes which would fit?

I keep the car going on a shoe string, so the rack conversion is not an option.

Thanks for reading, Ben

Warsash 2

Re: V8 saloon, from power steering to manual

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
Try Bob Cantwell number in the back of the DM He swapped the other way round and may have the old box.
Regards
Colin

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: V8 saloon, from power steering to manual

Post by tjt77 »

One alternative consideration would be a rack and pinion conversion... there are several suppliers for these..most utilise existing XJ40 racks .. its not by any means 'cheap' but is a remarkbaly cost effective way to add great improvement to the overall driving enjoyment of your car..you can improve steering feel and centering abilility buy changing the position of the shims either side of upper balljoint.. remove from back..add to front.(if its not been tampered with in the past..no special measuring tools required..just be sure to match each side) his increases castor angle.. 'back in the day' they were set up as they are for 'lighter' steering.. with a modern power assisted rack you get the best of both worlds.. good feel and decent assist.. so can use inceased castor angle with no detriment . .