Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dart Colour

Mark Brien

Dart Colour

Post by Mark Brien »

Afternoon All Dart fellows.

I have recently purchased a 1961 Daimler Dart automatic from long time member of the forum Ian Hastings.

i started in January and am cracking on well.

I have the shell stripped and turned upside down which has revealed horrors. I will post on this later.

I am at the stage where i will be painting the underside and would like to go with the attached colour. I have the trim ordered in the red from Barry Thorne and want to do the body this grey colour.

Does anyone know the name of the colour and even better a colour code.

Many thanks

Mark
IMG_2664.PNG
Brien
Belfast

Kbeal

Re: Dart Colour

Post by Kbeal »

Lawrence Jones has the original colour charts, I'd start with him. He reads and posts regularly on the forum. He also has the build records so if you give him your chassis number he can tell you how it was when it left the factory.

There were a few standard colour options but being a Daimler, the customer could of course go off piste and select whatever colour they wanted
Kevin

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

If it's an original colour I'd suggest Silver Grey metallic...
lux-classics-1969-jaguar-e-type-series-2-roadster-silver-rear-crop-u25858.jpg
..or perhaps Opalescent Gunmetal Grey...
gunm.jpg
The Silver Grey was a standard Jaguar colour from 1959-68; the Glasurit code is JAG-701. The gunmetal ran from 1959 64; the Glasurit code is JAG-7402A. Note that there were several similar variations of this shade on later Jaguar models.

If it's non-original then other than the person who sprayed it, who knows?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Mark Brien wrote:I am at the stage where i will be painting the underside and would like to go with the attached colour. I have the trim ordered in the red from Barry Thorne and want to do the body this grey colour.

Mark
IMG_2664.PNG
Brien
Belfast
Email Marc Mears

Mark Brien

Post by Mark Brien »

John-B wrote:
Mark Brien wrote:I am at the stage where i will be painting the underside and would like to go with the attached colour. I have the trim ordered in the red from Barry Thorne and want to do the body this grey colour.

Mark
IMG_2664.PNG
Brien
Belfast
Email Marc Mears
Thanks for that. I had thought the opalescent looked correct.

Marc Mears

Post by Marc Mears »

Thats the picture that made me paint mine- ... Its Jaguar Savoy Grey ... or thats the closest i could find to the picture... and it looks good IMO
Marc
Attachments
IMG_4705.JPG
Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. XK 150 ots .BMW 3.0 CSL 73. Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Citroen Mehari

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

That looks like Silver Grey with a red interior. This is the colour scheme that I have which is original specification.

The codes I have are 2300M - ? the Jaguar code

and ICI M073 2300.

I think it makes a nice colour combination.

Wish you well with the restoration.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Mike0Ryan

Post by Mike0Ryan »

Mark, I was also thinking that the SP 250 looks handsome in silver gray and had squirreled away that same picture.

I also happened upon another example that was being repainted in "Porsche Silver"
Porshe Silver.jpg
Unfortunately, this is the only picture of it that I saved and the thread (in britishcarforum) has been archived without the pictures.

The paint code for Porsche Silver is 936 (Ditzler PPG 8914)

Mark Brien

Post by Mark Brien »

Thanks Looks very good.