Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP 450

Andrew D

Re: SP 450

Post by Andrew D »

It looks terrific and it will be interesting to know what the power output is.
Has anyone ever done a similar conversion to a V8 250 to create a V8 450?

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

In answer to the last post.
A David Plaskett from Nottingham had put a 4.5 litre V8 in a violet coloured V8 250 shell. Given that the bigger engine might have produced nearly double the original HP it must have made the car somewhat quicker off the mark than before. I am not sure what gearbox he used.
Someone called Jeff Turner put a 5.7 Chevrolet V8 in a black SP. Apparently very fast.

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

In reply to New Dexter, would that be Jeff Turlan? (rather than Turner) with the 5.7L Chevrolet V8, if so do you know if the car still exists, I had a run in it with my brother and Jeff and it was very quick, he was not satisfied with the power output though and was talking about installing a 7L Chevrolet V8 engine.

I would be interested to know if the car still exists, I have the original Daimler engine that came out of it.

Antony

williamg

Post by williamg »

Rolling road is Peter Lander's at Gillingham
Gear box is Getrag, originally a conversion kit for a Jaguar E Type bought second hand on Ebay. I had originally made a transmission set up using a whole load of bits and pieces found around the work shop. The Daimler MM engine back plate was re drilled to take a Jag E Type bell housing. To this was fitted a Mk2 synchro gear box and overdrive. The flywheel is from a SP 250 and mated to an Austin Healey semi comp clutch. We added a clever rose jointed gear linkage with a short stick, you would never know it wasn't standard! The transmission worked well but shortening the gear stick gave a lack of leverage on the heavy Jag box and rendered it a hard drive. The Getrag has transformed the car.

JDB

Post by JDB »

Thanks very much for the gearbox explanation, very interesting; as an owner of two majestic majors, the idea of a manual gearbox on the 4.5 litre engine is not without its attractions.
JB

williamg

Post by williamg »

Well JB, I have the gearbox/ overdrive and can make up a kit ! Bill

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

William

Are you in contact with the owner of the red SP 450 which used to be in the Midlands and which I valued many years ago. It was being sold as part of a divorce settlement. Unfortunately I don't remember the spec.

Interesting to compare the specifications of the various SP 450s and of course the Chair of the NZ SP club has one too.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

JDB

Post by JDB »

^^
An interesting offer Bill, but not one I could see me taking up within the foreseeable future! Cheers anyway, JB

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Simon

The red 450 is LJK309; it belonged to a former member of the DLOC board in Derbyshire; I don't know when he demitted office or where he and the car are now, (perhaps still in Derbyshire). The car was featured on the inside front photo page of the DM some time ago.

I remember when it made its first public appearance at the SP250 day in 1979, Bridgenorth I think, one of the very few I've ever managed to get to!

Cheers

Geoff
Attachments
Geoff Alton SP450.jpg

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Thanks Geoff - yes I remember the XJ wheels now. It was quite heavily engineered and I went to see it with the late David Adcock. He had a special SP 450 badge made up and I remember it at Belton House.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!