Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Remote oil filter on V8

Sonus

Remote oil filter on V8

Post by Sonus »

My TVR engine bay is pretty full with the Daimler V8 in there. The exhaust blocks easy oil filter changes so I was wondering if I should fit a remote oilfilter. I know I can use a spin on adapter, but could I remove the oil filter neck and tap directly into the block aswell?

Warsash 2

Re: Remote oil filter on V8

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
Brian Purves fitted a remote filter to Margaret's SP. I do not know if he still does it.
Regards
Colin

russcarpenter

Post by russcarpenter »

Flexolite not only do a spin off for the SP they also do one for the V8 250 and also a remote kit. might be worth looking at there's

Dig-SP

Post by Dig-SP »

Hi ,
Every interested to hear you have 250V8 powered TVR
what model do you have ? That would pretty cool,
I have a 3000M and a dart, TVR would be very full with an SP V8 in there
Some pics would be great to see
Cheers
Dig

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Dig-SP wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:20 am Hi ,
Every interested to hear you have 250V8 powered TVR
what model do you have ? That would pretty cool,
Sonus posted this in the old forum - some of his pics have disappeared though.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

The car is a series one Vixen.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_1424.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

"flexolite' in uk can supply the 'sandwich plate' that will enable you to fit remote oil filter.. ( and oil cooler in same circuit, which I'd consider essential of you are going to use the car frequently) the remote filter housings are common and inexpensive where I live.. the adaptor from Uk is costly, but well worth it .. zero sense in keeping the old canister filter and all its 'issues' that arise every time a filter change is due..
the MGB V8 filter parts should be easy to come by in UK.. ( this is a remote filter set up, fitted close to radiator support panel on these cars) so the only less then strightforward parts is the actual adapter from filter housing.. flexible oil lines are easy to come by..
The majestic major filter assy (which fits the 2 1/2) has a 'through bolt' making adaptation of a more common spin on filter conversion easier.. I believe triumph TR3 conversion easily adapts..

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

I already have the flexolite screw on filter adapter. Ideally I would want to remove the neck the whole oilfilter assembly attaches to tapping directly into the engine block feed and return. However there are some springs and valve system in this 'neck' that might not be ideal to bypass?

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

I do have an 'adaptor plate' on hand which replaces the whole filter assy where it bolts to cylinder block..consisting of a steel plate with brass fittings attached .. it has 2 threaded outlets at a '90o angle facing downward... same thread as std oil line hoses..
I was keeping it back to use on a modified car.. but I would be prepared to pass it on as Im re-thinking the whole thing and might go with a different power train to meet my goals for a reliable car with improved performance..
unsure how to add images on this site ..

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

tjt77 if you click on the "Photo Album" category in the front page there is a sticky there which explains how to post photos in a clear way. Syd