Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler V8 Power Steering

pertonjohn

Daimler V8 Power Steering

Post by pertonjohn »

Can anyone in the Midlands recommend a company who would overhaul a Birmal power steering box.

daimlerfan

Re: Daimler V8 Power Steering

Post by daimlerfan »

Do you mean Burman?
1969 Daimler V8 250

pertonjohn

Post by pertonjohn »

Sorry I mean Birman

pertonjohn

Post by pertonjohn »

Burman

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

bit of a thorny subject..hard to find someone that can rebuild the burman power steering box properly.. once the shaft has surface scores, the lower seal tends to leak.. the later 'adwest' variable ratio power box tends to hold up better.. these are fitted to :- post'67 Mk2 jag.. daimler 250.. and jaguar 420.. you could try a find a Jag breaker that has one on hand from a lower mileage car.. other than that.. consider an upgrade to a power assisted rack .. most conversions use the XJ6 rack.. gives more direct steering with improved feel .. well worth the effort and cost.. other alternatives are to go with a std 'non assisted' box.. (plenty available) and fit the current electronic assisted set up that is on offer from several aftermarket suppliers for the MK2 jaguar..

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

I have used these guys. Very quick turnaround on two DS420 steering boxes.
http://www.power-steering.co.uk
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

The xj6 rack is not really suitable although as tjt has stated there are people who sell it. The problem is that it alters the steering geometry on a mark 2, and requires fairly major alterations to the subframe. I would only do it as a last resort

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Chris, do you know how and where the geometry gets out of whack on the XJ6 rack conversions.? I do recall in the 70s looking at a jag 420 txt someone had fitted and XJ6 rack (fabricating all the parts himself) to and the geometry issue revealed itself as tire squeal on corners.. one wheel turned deeper than the other.. since that time there have been several 'aftermarket' conversions.. I drove a rack equipped Mk2 jag a decade or so back and it seemed all good..light steering with great feel and very precise with none of the tire squeal evident.. I do know that the XJ6 uprights have the arm for track rod end about 3/4" lower than the Mk saloons..(plus the XJ6 has significantly wider track) and that there have been various design adaptor brackets to mount the rack.. conversions today seem to be pushing the electric assist conversion that fits onto the steering column..rather than changing the steering box and other parts of the mechanical linkage..

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Tim : I cannot remember exactly where the XJ6 setup causes problems, but I think it is ( as you have referred to ) connected with the angles the track rod arms adopt particularly when the wheels drop below the static datum when going over bumps etc and more importantly when the inside wheel drops under cornering. I seem to remember that bump steer and kickback were the undesirable consequences . The definite advantage, however, of the rack and pinion is its positivity compared with the recirculating ball which to me is rather like steering a yacht in a heavy sea!

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Chris.. makes sense.. I'm about to install pair of XJ 6 series 3 front uprights on one of the cars .. along with a power assisted rack conversion.. I do recall earlier conversions had the rack mounted further forward, which would definitely mess up the geometry.. rack can be fitted further back if the anti roll bar is spaced away from chassis rails adequately.. earlier jaguar Mk2 versions sharing same body shell had almost no spacing twixt roll bar and chassis.. most of the Daimlers seem to have spacers about 5/8" thick.. one can drop the roll bar down at least 2 1/2" with spacer block and adequate grade hardware .