Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

2 1/2 crankshaft bearings..

Tim

Re: 2 1/2 crankshaft bearings..

Post by Tim »

Tim, if you are still looking for main caps, you might try this outfit. While they do production runs for US stuff, I think they can also make one-off ones. I talked to a guy who has been running their caps in a Chevrolet for quite some time and through several refreshes, the caps are about the only part that didn't need some attention.

http://www.cipcoindustries.com/Home_Page.php

And they are on this side of the water.

Tim(the other)

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Engine Main Caps --- i have them coming out my ears, but there way down here.
Bearings. mods done to the Kings tri metal and though its now after the event i'm modifying up some main caps and conrods to make the width reduction more user friendly by clamping them in the end product then into the four jaw.
The Pistons should be here any time soon so the block can be bored, The bottom end can now be processed/ ground/ nitrited/balanced etc.Rods Shot peined etc, etc.
Camshaft design is Spec'd with the Master cnc machining under way in Aus. Another cam is welded up ready for reprofiling. Adjustable Cam sprocket made for Dialing in the Cam
Let the fun begin !!!

steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Re Bearing mods,
I've just made up a clamping system using two conrods cut off and machined with two flats on the cut off sections and two squareing up the area outside the rod bolts for easy setting up in a four jaw chuck.The org rod bolts serve to connect the two halves with the org.locating pins aligning the unit.
The Mains unit is two centre caps machined similar to the above system .
Steve

russcarpenter

Post by russcarpenter »

hi Guys thought you'd like to know I had a long talk to the CEO of XRN, the euro' importers of King bearings and have persuaded them to have Try metal bearings made this next order they are about to make. It will be around six months for them to appear but at least we'll have the correct material

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Bloody amazing Russ,
great news !!!
steve

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

russcarpenter wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:28 pm hi Guys thought you'd like to know I had a long talk to the CEO of XRN, the euro' importers of King bearings and have persuaded them to have Try metal bearings made this next order they are about to make. It will be around six months for them to appear but at least we'll have the correct material
Very good news Russ :)

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

The machine shop that my engine builder uses told me they have found crankshaft bearings that fit the Daimler V8 that are intended for Mini Coopers. Does anyone know any more about this? Apparently they can be had in anything from stock to full race versions.

russcarpenter

Post by russcarpenter »

yep I've been using them for years in my dragster and performance engines but they have to be machined to fit and some halves in the set cannot be used so you have to buy additional sets to get the bearings you need

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

russcarpenter wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:03 pm yep I've been using them for years in my dragster and performance engines but they have to be machined to fit and some halves in the set cannot be used so you have to buy additional sets to get the bearings you need
Very good Russ :)

And thanks for sharing your knowledge!

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Thats what i;ve used as well. Made up a couple of holding jigs to hold them while turning. makes the job somewhat easier
steve