Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

2 1/2 crankshaft bearings..

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: 2 1/2 crankshaft bearings..

Post by tjt77 »

Steve..id think sourcing quality con rod bearings should not be a major problem..there is the option of having rods made.. not much provision for a bearing with larger outer did on the stock rods, which have nominal thickness twixt bolt hole and bearing edge.. the mains however are tricky.. 3 different lengths.. uppers grooved.. IF one can get a positive response from Vandervell/Mahle, Id think that would be the best course.. next would be King.. after many compliants about bearing quality to my usual suppler for BMC engine bearings.. they now stock 'tri metal' exclusively.. took over a decade of nagging from myself an many others mind you.. a set of bearings that cost, say, $500 is still considerably less money than an engine failure.. tin alloy bearings just wont hold uo for long in these engines.. the OEM Vandervells seem to outlast all others Ive tried to date..

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

I've spent many hrs researching this problem. The short cut to finding something is to visit a couple of engine reconditioners and look through their catalogs on bearing sizes, different makes to cover all possibilities.You're correct on the rod ends, not too much problem there -- just make the tang narrower and reduce the width. there is the problem of the oil hole being in the wrong place but that can be overcome by getting plain/ no hole bearings and drilling to suit. Mains as you say. i cannot find a bearing long enough to get the rear out of, so am resigned to using the origional ally Kings unit. The balance to be plain undrilled, machined to suit ( grooved both sides # 1, one side 234, though 2 and 4 can be a little wider than spec as the factory has used the center main width on all three even without the need to reduce the width for the thrust washers. The machine shops new Block machine- center can make short work or putting the thrust faces where they should be ( in the block) not the cap. We have found a split seal that will fit into the seal slot in the v8250 block and cap.(holden).
Steve

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Steve.. i should have a quote, availability and time for quality 'lead copper' bearings by mid next week.. let me now what sizes you are seeking please.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

TJ, Amazing . mains -30, b/e,- 20
regards steve

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Steve.. as it stands:- original drawings have been located and are now in the hands of the research engineer .. they are currently on a 'tooling' search.. apparently different tooling for different undersizes.. Ive requested the sizes you desire .. will keep you informed..

prickle

Post by prickle »

I have both Vandervell and Glacier NOS main and big end bearings in some sizes. I also have original main bearing caps in sets or individually, and the centre three as a set machined from solid with the appropriate cap bolts.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Steve, Barry Thorne ( prickle) has the sizes you require.. and most of the sizes i need too.. thank you Barry .

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

for those interested :- Vandervell/Mahle motorsports is prepared to make batch of both main and big end bearings , described as 'racing quality' bearings .. BUT the cost is significant due to the fact they have to make the tooling for this application..( the tooling cost is a 'one time' expense.. but must be paid by the customer)
IF there is sufficient interest it can be done ..it would need to be an order of 10 sets minimum. lead time is six weeks from placement of order.. please contact me by end of Aug 2017 if interested in original/better than original quality crankshaft bearings from the original manufacturer. if 10 or more people step up to the plate we can get this done..

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

TJ,
In the interest of repeatability, i'm going with modified King copper/lead competition bearings machined to width. The only bearing i cant source is the rear main due to the length . The front is ok ,the centre cannot be made any wider due to the thrust washers ( i;ve looked into machining the block to accommodate the thrusts instead of the cap doing this ((crap design)) but there isn't the thickness in the casting without compromising the main bolt thread in the block) There is an old speedway engine locally that has a full bottom end girdle but i;m not buying that just to get the girdle. This is on an SP mtr. from the sixties so the bore walls are thinner and not applicable for overboring to the degree i want.
#2 AND 4 can and will be made wider by a couple of mm.( the oe uses the centre bearing for 2,3 and 4 ) Steel main caps on 2 ,3 and 4 are being used in this case.
I have a promise of these bearing mods being done this week, so the bottom end can get under way.
JE Pistons in the States have agreed to remake their botched pistons so they should be here in the next couple of weeks, then we can get onto the block .
Heads are complete .
Am Sorting a clutch that will take the increased torque and still be user friendly , I will be looking at a Seirra Cosworth AP to go with the Cossy T5 gearbox. The peddle pressure is governed by the length of peddle in my case. ( three master cyl. p/box )
As with a lot of things its a learning curve to do the ground-work before approaching the experts so you can talk the language . Now i'm out to the workshop to test some clutch release pressures so i have a base line to work from.

cheers to all in the sunny nth. ( winter 12# c here. )
steve

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Good news , -- Bearing mods are under way.
Located a Sierra cossie clutch today with 1700 lb. clamp as compared to the std. healy used in some Sps of 1400 clamp..( same cover with a different diaphram. The release pressure goes up from 290 lb. to 305 so not much of an increase for the 300lb clamping gain. This should handle the new output torque of the 2.8 ltr.
Happy is the man who discovers how things work.
Steve