Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Valve guides

faeton

Valve guides

Post by faeton »

After rebuilding my engine many years ago because of blue smoke on start and overrun I have never been entirely happy with the results . Although there was an improvement . Recently whilst going through my spares including remains of 2 dismantled saloon engines. I came across a load of vv guides
I have been threatening to strip my engine for several years but as it is running so well I keep putting it off . I think I may now have discovered the problem . I noticed amongst the 16 or so spare vv guides that there are two different lengths , Although it was many years ago and my memory is not so good I don't remember the modified guides I was supplied with being different lengths, I cant recall who supplied.

As I didn't have a press I got a friend to fit them also warming the heads, He probably didn't notice the different lengths of ex and inlet when removing old guides. Could be that all ex guides were supplied and fitted. These being the shorter ones it wouldn't help the oil consumption if fitted on the inlets

Looks like I will have to strip the heads and check . I also understand that the guides when pushed in and out can score the heads . I was advised to fit with Loctite as oil can be drawn down the score marks , There is a lot of discussion on the Mini Website about the poor quality of the standard black seals . An engine tuner advised the use of Viton seals . These are generally red anyone know where they can be obtained.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Valve guides

Post by tjt77 »

its highly unlikely that anyone would put the guides in wrong position... the inlet lave guides are longer and have a tapered end to help flow where they protrude into port..exhaust valve guides are shorter and almost flush with the head casting in port and hence have no taper at the port end ..
current guides sold today have a provision for a stem seal machined into them .. a competant machine shop can machine the old style guides to take a modern seal..whilst the current production guides come with provision for a stem seal on both inlet and exahaust.. its not neccesary on the exhaust guide.. When the cars were in production there were issues with exhaust valves sticking in exhaust guides in the early saloons causing major engine image.. this was overcome by shorting the guide so it did not protrude into port and increasing guide to stem clearance slightly.. its wise to bore the exhaust guides out and fit a silicon bronze insert if you have a friendly machine shop that can do this for you.