Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Dart steering column indicator problem

John-B
Site Admin

Dart steering column indicator problem

Post by John-B »

My Dart has had steering column indicator problems since restoration, the self-cancelling has never worked although I could use them manually - until yesterday.

The left indicator still works, but the right one either doesn't work or both sides work at the same time. It seems as if the connection has swivelled round so that only one indicator makes contact. At best the self-cancelling mechanism has just lost its connection to a stabilising notch and moves when it shouldn't.

I know that the steering column will have to be taken apart and the self-cancelling mechanism may have to be renewed.

I want to use a mechanic who has worked on this type of indicator before, in the south of England, preferably in the south west. Can you recommend anyone? Are the parts easily available?

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Dart steering column indicator problem

Post by Ian Slade »

Is your column adjustable?, if so you may not need to dismantle the column, even if not adjustable the worst case is losing the oil from the steering box, there are 3 grub screws on the back of the wheel, undo these, if adjustable pull the wheel into the cockpit, push the wheel forward and the horn/indicator assembly should clear the boss,( if not undo nut on the end of the box, and place a collection container under the box and pull the indicator/ horn assembly out of the steering wheel) Do ensure the wires slide up the stator tube without catching.
There are 3 screws approached from the windscreen side which allows the horn assembly to be removed, when the horn assembly is removed it will be obvious where the problem lies, 9 times out of ten the cable assembly in the stator tube jams and the wires are damaged, the assembly is simple and easy to repair, if damaged the assembly is common to Morris Minor/ Century/Consort and many others, the horn assembly is the only part exclusive to the SP though there is probably another car with an identical assembly though possibly not with the stator tube.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Thanks. The steering isn't adjustable.

I'll have a look for the grub screws, etc. but probably won't attempt the repair myself.

The cables were new three years ago but the restorer finished off work a bit quickly as he wanted to go on holiday! All the essential things work but he didn't have time to do all the testing.

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

Just to add my thanks, Ian.
My 1963 SP250 has lost the self-cancelling feature so your instructions have given me the confidence to try and effect a repair this winter when the car is off the road.