Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

brake servo, refurb or upgrade?

Rolo5

brake servo, refurb or upgrade?

Post by Rolo5 »

Hi, my first time on this forum!
I have mainly been involved with Triumphs for the last 45 years but have recently acquired a 1964 2.5 V8 from a friend. The car has been untouched and barn-stored since 2004 and is in remarkably good and very original condition.
Having refurbished the fuel pump, carbs, dynamo and regulator box I have now got the engine running (on 14 year old petrol still in the tank!) and have had it running in forward and reverse drive. The brakes pistons were seized, I have dismantled them and decided to replace the pistons and callipers as they were quite badly corroded. I now have working pistons but brake fluid is being sucked into the engine causing white smoke, so I guess the next thing to look at is the servo. I have asked 2 major suppliers for this part, and none are currently available as refurbs but one has offered me a modern LR18230 upgrade as a stock item.

Would appreciate some advice as to whether the upgrade is a good idea and anything else that I should be checking at this stage as Daimler workings are still somewhat of a mystery!!

thank you

robert

daimlerfan

Re: brake servo, refurb or upgrade?

Post by daimlerfan »

Hi John,
There is a seal kit available for the hydraulic cylinder and gaskets for the diaphragm, but spares for the vacuum chamber especially the main cover gasket are as rare as hens teeth.
Its not too difficult to dissemble and clean and then reassemble with the new seals and gaskets. If the vacuum chamber gasket and the rubber cap for the vacuum piston are reusable then you will be fine. Also check the hydraulic cylinder is not badly rusted or scored. There firms that will re-sleeve these.
I've refurbished a couple and the only trouble I've had is making sure the vacuum cover is sealed properly. Either Barratt's or Manner's did a replacement gasket but it did not have a lip on it and it tended to get sucked into the camber causing a leak.

As for replacements there are several remote servos available (same style as the original Lockheed) but you will probably have to fabricate the fittings, or at least modify them.
Good luck.

John
SAX 114G Original Servo.jpg
Restored Servo 2nd try.jpg
1969 Daimler V8 250

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Have you spoken to Paul at Powertrack?
Normal for Norfolk

Rolo5

Post by Rolo5 »

Thank you for these comments, no I havent, as I said I am very, very new to Daimler, will do so straight away
thanks

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Barratt and others offer rebuilt exchange 'original' units.. the 'aftermarket' servos are easy to adapt .. you have to drill 2 new holes in the cover that the servo attaches to.. and ditch the nose end support bracket.. (I.E. generic 'replacement' is held in with just 2 bolts..pefecty adequate if installed properly.. important to have some thick wishers EITHER side of the housing that attaches to inner wing in order to prevent stress cracks) cost of a 'rebuilt original' approx double the cost of an aftermarket replacement.. (which is a common lockheed design.. with variable ratios available).. the UK built ones are recommended over the Asian version.. both look identical and are painted black.