Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Saloon radiator re-core

PatrickDixon

Saloon radiator re-core

Post by PatrickDixon »

Spent some time waiting for recovery at Gordano services yesterday, after my 1963 auto saloon overheated and re-filling the radiator highlighted a significant leak somewhere near the top of the core.

Any recommendations for re-coring? This is an auto so I need to keep the auto radiator section (which AFAIK is OK).

Thanks.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Saloon radiator re-core

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I used Arrow Radiators in Avonmouth to re-core my SP radiator. They were very quick - same day! - and the rad has been fine for the past couple of years.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Serk Marston did mine. Always runs cool since.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Ebay has aluminium radiators on offer. ( ebay USA that is) they are made in China and shipped directly from source , same as those for the Mk2 Jag, which are in stock here at most of the normal suppliers . they are a tried and tested part that has slightly better cooling capacity than originals...... Im going with re-core on current project for originality however.. to do so is more than double the cost of a new ally one .

Dobbinridesagain
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Dobbinridesagain »

Gloucestershire Radiators
http://www.carradiatorsgloucester.com/index.html
can recore, using the salvable bits of your rad.

They do a lot of classics.
Recently made me a heater rad for my Rambler.

Ivor

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I had mine recored with an S type Jaguar core which is quite a lot more " powerful" than the standard core. It still fits - just !!

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

Many thanks for the replies - looks like a few good options!

I did see the Chinese ebay one, but it doesn't seem to have provision for the gearbox oil cooler and I would prefer to stick with the original rad style anyway.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

unsure what available in Uk, but here in US there are a number of supplier who sell new 'all alloy' rads for the Mk2 jaguar and they are also listed for the daimler 2 1/2..( same rad.. filler and top hose outlet at opposing sides to Mk2 jag) prices are $155 and up.. with $ 250 being the median 'average') a re-core in copper/ brass as per original with original tanks and frame runs $ 450- $650..