Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Engine Question

Keith Ashworth

SP250 Engine Question

Post by Keith Ashworth »

I'm hoping someone may be able to tell me if A spec engines have a different oil pump gear drive shaft than the B spec.
The block I am rebuilding is an A spec one and the shaft I have seems too thick.
Any clues anyone?
Cheers
Keith

Dragon

Re: SP250 Engine Question

Post by Dragon »

Hi Keith,
All I can contribute is this: I understand that the A-spec engines' normal running oil pressure was 30psi, but the B/C-spec engines' was 60psi. This is seen in the oil pressure gauges which showed a pressure range of 0-60psi for the A-spec and 0-100psi for the B/C-spec.
This difference might only be caused by different pressure relief valve settings, but could indicate a physical difference.
Suggest you ask Russ Carpenter; he will be certain to know!
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

I dont know for sure, but an official 'parts book' would confirm. I doubt this is a part they would change in production.. Ive only got B spec and saloon blocks for comparison.. The shaft is sometimes tight to remove ..and seems like it does not want to go back in IF its not properly prepped up and has surface crud on it ( all that is needed to prevent it fitting easily is a very thin layer) as the hole in the top part acts as a support bearing so clearance is tight, with main thrust taken on the washer just below the bronze gear.

Keith Ashworth

Post by Keith Ashworth »

Thanks txt.
I'll give it a good clean as it does have some surface rust on it.
Keith