Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 Saloon Rear Axle

pertonjohn

V8 250 Saloon Rear Axle

Post by pertonjohn »

Hi again. While overhauling the rear axle, have decided to repaint axle casing and tubes etc. Under all the 'muck' on the casing the colour appears to be orange/red. Does anyone know what the original colours should be?
Thanks, John

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: V8 250 Saloon Rear Axle

Post by A.N.Other »

It sounds like it has been worked on at some point. Replacements often were supplied in red lead paint finish or maybe someone started tidying things of but left it red.
I believe the originals were black but I am not sure if it was gloss, mat or satin finish.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I'm not sure about mark 2s, but E types of the era had the actual diff casing painted in Glyptol with a reddish/orange colour, which sounds as though it may be what you are seeing

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

there seems to be some variation .. most later cars have the rear axle casing painted black.. earlier car had mix of fully painted black axle casings an some with the centre section painted in was what i always assumed to be 'red lead' a rustproofing primer coating.which was commonly used all almost all cast iron and cast steel automotive parts before machining.. the tubes had light coating of black .. and the rear cover also a light coating of black..which is almost always gone after 45+ yrs of being exposed to the elements..
Ive just gone through this filthy, time consuming issue on a very nice under the decades of grime Mk2 jaguar I'm currently re-commissioning.. after all was cleaned up underneath, the diff housing was red primer finish..and the tubes showed evidence of some black paint remaining..most of the axle, including rear cover was lightly covered in surface rust. Its always all worth checking the brake lines for crushing as if these cars are ever towed, the places for tie down at rear of car are very limited.. many people put chains around the axle tubes ... this often crushed the hard brake lines, leading to poor rear braking.

A durable, easy to use finish for the rear axle is the SEM brand Black 'self etching' primer, which comes in a large aerosol.. its adheres to any clean metal surface very well and tends not to 'react' with other paint. dries to a pleasing uniform 'eggshell' finish.. its impervious to most elements that attack bare metal and is extremely durable..

pertonjohn

Post by pertonjohn »

Thanks very much for your postings. Has given me some guidance. John

Alpine Daimler

Post by Alpine Daimler »

If it helps this is what mine looks like, not sure it left the factory in 67 vwith the prop shaft this colour.......previous owner was french, they do have a better understanding of style than we do !!
Regards
Rob C.
Attachments
20150926_091521.jpg