Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Outdoor cover

philv8

Outdoor cover

Post by philv8 »

Hi All,
Unfortunately ive lost my rented garage that i keep my V8 in so its going to have to come home.
I have no garage here so im going to have to keep it on the drive.
Is there anyone that could reccomend a decent cover? or are they all much of a muchness?

Thanks
Phil

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Outdoor cover

Post by John-B »

carcoon seems to be popular, although I've never had one. See the old forum and search for carcoon

Here's one topic http://archive.dloc.co.uk/forum/topic.a ... ms=carcoon

Carcoon website https://www.carcoon.com/

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Non-contacting covers with a controlled environment - such as the carcoon - are probably the next best thing to a dry garage. They're not always the most practical for a car in regular or frequent use - and they're one of the more expensive options too.

Fabric covers for outdoor use are usually a mixed blessing. The heavy duty, full weather resistant types are tiresome and unwieldy to fit and remove and in high winds they can be apt to chafe the bodywork and damage the paint. Reasonably lightweight 'breathable' covers can be more practical. Although not fully weatherproof, they do allow the bodywork to 'breathe', preventing a trapped damp environment underneath (they can usually be put on a wet car too without adverse effect) and they're relatively quick to fit and remove.

My Mustang is forced to live outside and parked under a tree. The combination of bird and insect droppings quickly apply a sticky mess and attack the paintwork and for that reason I cover the car with one of these. It doesn't stop the car getting wet in the rain but it does allow it to dry off afterwards and it keeps the droppings off.

Usually the cover is adequately secured by the elasticated sections at the front and rear, but in high winds it's advisable to secure the attached underbelly straps - which can be a bit of a pain.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Machine Mart have some hard frame ones of varying sizes.
It may be an option to drive in and out of rather than put on and take off.
If you know a member of Costco wholesalers they also usually have some tent like versions.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I've had two of the Classic additions breathable covers (one of them is still on my Mk1 - just)! I'm not happy with the quality, the straps ripped off in a slight wind (this was replaced by CA without quibble) but the same happened to the replacement in the next wind! It has also ripped where it fits over the mirrors and roof Ariel. Next time I will try a cheepo Halfords one for £60!
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
I use a cover from the canvas & nylon cover company. If you Google Canvas Pram hood car covers you should find them. I have used it on my Mini Moke for some years. They are not cheap but you can just drive in and pull it over.It does not touch the body work and ventilates the car to stop condensation.
Regards
Colin

JDB

Post by JDB »

I use a lightweight cover from Classic Additions too, I am on my 3rd one; they last about 2 years. I have also tried a cheaper breathable cover that I bought off ebay, it was made up of two materials bonded together but the outer one (which had a reflective silver finish) soon broke up, apparently due to the effects of sunlight (not that we get much of that in the west mids!). As mentioned in the previous post, the covers can rip in the wind (mine are fine in anything other than gales) but with extra ropes tying it down to prevent flapping it is not a problem.
JB

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Phil, Car covers are very much not a much of a muchness. There are big differences as has been indicated. The Halfords ones (other similar products also available) are cheap and cheerful and are probably OK for a short period of time. At the beginning they repel the water quite nicely but after a few months, pollution and dust from the atmosphere clogs them up and they become just like damp rags over the car and don't let the moisture escape. Not good. The more expensive breathable covers might last a bit longer but will ultimately suffer the same issue. For its cheapness I use a Halfords cover when touring in Europe, I think they are good enough for overnight protection.
The perambulator style are quite good depending on the cover material. Despite the claims to be breathable and have vents if the cover material is impervious to water there can be a significant build up of condensation on the inside which will not go anywhere because there is not a sufficient circulation of air. Heat up that damp atmosphere and you have created a rust incubator. The canvas covered perambulator style are probably better because canvas is breathable but it will need waterproofing (like tents or caravan awnings) probably twice a year. The downside of the perambulator style is they do allow leaves and other detritus to blow underneath the edges making it messy inside.
For protection the ultimate is the outdoor carcoon with the heavy integrated PVC flooring but they are awkward to put on and awkward to remove so they are not really very good for frequent use but they are outstanding at keeping your car dry and protected. I've had in use for over 3 years now and the contents are in as perfect condition today as when they were put in there.
If you decide on a permabulator style cover these are probably the best on the market: http://www.cover-systems.co.uk/car-cove ... arages.htm
A final thought is the rollout style: https://rolloutcovers.co.uk/. These are perhaps neater than the perambulator style as they are not as high. I've seen these on display and seen them on show at Goodwood and I think these are an excellent design. I believe there was also a way of including a floor to make it a cocoon unit something like a Carcoon but with the advantage of ease of use and ease of access.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I bought the Halfords advanced all seasons car cover at the weekend for £60 and it looks and feels much better quality than the Classic Additions ones (which cost £216)!
The large size is a bit tight over the Conquest but that's probably down to the height of the car. It has three layers and is supposedly 100% waterproof and breathable (we shall see)! It has three under car straps (the CA ones just had one I think). It's certainly keeping the water out at the moment so just waiting for the first storm now.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Did you get your car cover in the end Phil and what did you choose? I must say I'm very pleased with my £60 Halfords cover which is performing much better than many more expensive ones I've tried before. It stays on the car and is still keeping out the water at the moment.
Andy