Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Spare wheel cover

AntonyB

Spare wheel cover

Post by AntonyB »

Having just posted a reply to another string involving the boot area of an SP has prompted me to ask what the correct form of spare wheel cover/boot floor panel should be. I should say though that I will be keeping the one I have, I just wondered what was correct, or what the variations were.

I have access to two different types, one which I believe is an exact copy of an A spec example (on the left - I do also have the metal semi-circles for turn buckle securing) and the other from a B spec car (on the right).

Antony
Attachments
005.JPG
004.JPG

Dragon

Re: Spare wheel cover

Post by Dragon »

Hi Antony,
My B-spec SP spent the first 23 years of its life in the open air, and rainwater caused the boot board to come to pieces. It was black-painted plywood with black felt glued around the perimeter on the underside. There was an handle slot in the centre by the boot latch, but there was no ring or other relief cut into it anywhere. It was fitted with the steel semi-circular plates where the turn buckles rubbed across. I believe it was the original one, fitted at the factory. The car was fitted with the standard steel wheels from new.
In fact it was the same as your left-hand picture, plus the black felt perimeter strip, but plain, without the circular relief, and not like your right-hand picture.
I replaced it with a piece of shuttering ply, cut to shape, and sorted the boot perimeter sealing. Still doing the job 32 years later.
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

Hello Wilf, many thanks for the reply and details of your board.

I was beginning to wonder if my normal jinx of raising items that no members comment on was about to strike again :)

The l/h board was as I mentioned an exact copy of the original board from my first 1960 SP, which I bought in 1976, so the replacement board itself is over 40 years old (still looks in good nick!). I have like you perhaps just got around to fitting the felt surround, secured using Gorilla double sided tape.

The r/h board is from a B spec SP purchased in 1981, so I am fairly sure that it is the original board and with condition commensurate with age at that time, it has de-laminated slightly now but not much.

The circular relief on the l/h one obviously accommodates the tyre wall but I have no idea of the reason for the round hole covered with the thin metal plate in the r/h one.

Antony

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

AntonyB wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:59 pm ....... but I have no idea of the reason for the round hole covered with the thin metal plate in the r/h one.
Antony
Does - or did - the car have wire wheels? The hole is there to accommodate the extended hub compared with the pressed steel wheel.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

yep, wire wheel hub hole.

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

Hello, no the car has always had standard pressed steel wheels, but maybe even then there is a need for extra room to accommodate the hub centre and retaining bolt and ring.

Antony

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

If the hole has screw holes surrounding the hole then the cover is from a wire wheeled car, cars with wire wheels have a metal dome covering the hole, if no screw holes then maybe someone made a cover from a wire wheeled car cover. The pressed steel wheel does not need a hole as the wheel centre is recessed in the rim.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Ian's spot on there.
steve

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

Thanks very much for all your helpful comments.

Just to finish the string, I removed the steel plate from the r/h board this morning. there were no additional screw holes for a dome, and there was no paint on the wood (or the metal) under the plate, so it had obviously been blown over originally when manufactured.

I wonder if at some stage only one type of board was produced (it would seem more cost effective to me - but then maybe not an issue for Daimler), with either a dome being added for wire wheels, or a flat plate for standard pressed wheels.

Antony