Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 - Hood Frame question

smithgor

SP250 - Hood Frame question

Post by smithgor »

Today I've been refitting the soft top and raising it for the first time since I got the car.

I was advised, when I got the car, that the rearmost 'hoop' of the structure had come out of its vinyl sleeve and that the vinyl needing re-gluing to the hoop.

Now I've come to attempt the raising of the hood I'm not convinced the rear hoop - above the rear window - should be attached to the vinyl at all. Is the strip of vinyl not just a reinforcement piece to locate the hoop in? Indeed does this rear hoop do the final bit of tensioning so that the screen might take less stress during the tussle of attaching the clips?

Please could someone who has experience of these things please advise?

Thanks

wally999999

Re: SP250 - Hood Frame question

Post by wally999999 »

Hi,

The hood on my SP is cotton duck rather than vinyl - however, the hood frame loop above the window is sewn into the hood material. So I guess your advice is correct; the strip of loose vinyl should be wrapped around the hood frame and cemented back on itself. May be better to get this confirmed by someone with a vinyl hood first though.

All the best,

Andrew

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

Thanks, Andrew.

Hopefully someone with a vinyl hood will be along soon. I would expect the principle to be the same though.

My car did not come from the factory with a hood, just hardtop. Is there any sort of support for the hood in the folded position? I ask because there are a couple of holes in the interior rear trim which I can imagine were for some sort of bracket.

wally999999

Post by wally999999 »

The hood frame attaches to the rear of the B posts via UNF bolts and two captive nuts on each side - but I'm sure you already know this.

I don't know of any other 'brackets', or similar for stowing the hood but there again, I've never had the small cover that can be fitted over the folded hood (I only have a full tonneau that covers the whole cockpit). I did fit a small leather strap on my car to hold the folded hood down. This is bolted to the vertical surface just to one side of the filler cap. It works well as a quick way of scrunching the hood down and stopping it from flapping about. This was not an original fitment though. The small hood cover fits to the main hood Tenax fasteners but maybe the front edge attaches via the holes you've found - someone else will need to advise on this, sorry.

These day I very rarely have the hood fitted to the car at all - preferring to only use either the full tonneau, or nothing at all. I have occasionally got very wet though!

Andrew

Bud

Post by Bud »

Andrew,

The vinyl or whatever material you refer to is wrapped over the rear hoop and moves with the top as it raises and lowers.
As said, it is "lap" glued or sewn freely to itself over the hoop allowing this movement and avoiding twisting and binding when stowing and unfurling, yet keeping the hoop in place and aligned correctly.
It also helps in folding the hood per current recommendations by starting with a common layout.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Gordon

Further to the question of the "hood bag" or small tonneau, as far as I know this came as standard with two straps sewn onto the front or inside edge of the material, approx 4 inches long x 1 inch wide. They pass under the hood when furled and locate over two turbuckles screwed on to the "parcel shelf" above the rear seat, approx 18 inches apart or 9 inches on either side of the centre line. My measurements are quoted from memory because I've not taken the time to go to the garage and dismantle everything for exactitude. In practice I attach the straps to the turnbuckles first from inside the car, then fold the hood back into its recess on the shelf, and finally pull the bag over the furled hood to attach it to the Tenax fasteners.

There is a final step, which is to attach the two forward inner corners of the hood bag one on either side, to a turnbuckle on the inside trim of the B posts , thereby concealing the entire folded hood and frame from view and to prevent the loose sides of the hood bag from flapping about in the wind. This is the arrangement that i found on this SP when I purchased it, and the replacement bag from D Manners had matching details, so i assume is standard spec.

Altogether it is a very neat way to keep it during spells when it will be used top down with more than a driver aboard, and the full tonneau takes but a few minutes to fit if the car is to be left parked or whatever. Then I usually leave the hood bag inside under the full cover still attached to the rear shelf turnbuckles. It is much easier to attach or release these when the hood is not resting on them.

I'll try to find the time to set up and take photos to illustrate the above as soon as I can.

Cheers

Geoff

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

If the hood is not secured to the rail, when folding down the rear of the hood can be hood can be pulled forward over the front part thus causing less of a crease more a roll to the rear window, thus allowing the two quarter windows to sit neatly, if you have the hood bag the folded hood has a much smoother line than if the rear frame is attached to the hood material. Others will disagree :D
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

Many thanks Andrew, Geoff and Ian.

I've glued up the vinyl strip around the rear hoop, clamping it place with a strip of plywood and a bar clamp - and gone on holiday for 2 weeks whilst the adhesive cures!

From the information you've given me I'm sure I can now get the hood stowed properly and my new hood bag fitted correctly. If it doesn't look right I'll try separating the rail as Ian suggests.

Gordon

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

If you can ask Wilf, Dragon, on the forum. He has a photo guide as to how to fold the hood on an SP. Seeing it may give you helpful clues as to how the hood fixes as I believe that his SP very original.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

David S

Post by David S »

Roy Mander posted some videos [or a seris of photos?] of how to flod a hood on the old forum.
They were very good.