Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 250 saloon auto gearbox

DickSpeedy

Daimler 250 saloon auto gearbox

Post by DickSpeedy »

I have just totally finished rebuilding the mechanical's on my 250 saloon. The auto transmission was overhauled professionally. I now find that after all adjustments to the linkage have been carried out and the inhibitor checked I am unable to select 'P' (Park). Instead when selecting 'P' the car is actually in reverse and you can start the car in this position, but whilst jacked up the wheels immediately start turning in reverse. Move the lever to 'N' and the wheels stop. But you can't start the car in 'N'. 'D' works fine.

Can anyone tell me why I can't select 'P' even although the quadrant on the gearbox is set to 'P' ?
Dick (Joburg)

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Daimler 250 saloon auto gearbox

Post by Christopher Storey »

The linkages on the BW35 are very critical indeed. I have a manual Daimler , so cannot give first hand experience, but on my Rover P5B where the linkage is much much less complex,( lever on the transmission tunnel ) it is still very easy to get the settings out of kilter. The first thing I would do is to see that the detents on the box itself ( with the linkage disconnected ) give the individual correct selections P , R , N , D1, D2, L with the inhibitor working correctly at each point , and then work backwards along the linkage from there. One point occurs to me: this is the later D1/D2 box is it , and not an earlier box being used with the later linkage , or vice versa - that could just explain why you are one "placing" adrift

DickSpeedy

Post by DickSpeedy »

Many thanks for the reply. Mine is not the original auto box, but a replacement fitted about 40 years ago. I will try again as you suggest as I feel either I have to wires crossed from the inhibitor or the linkage is totally out of kilter.

Pinto

Post by Pinto »

Hi Dickspeedy,
On my 64 250 sedan there is an adjustment for the gear selector cable under the dash board. to gain access remove the aluminium ( covered in upholstery vinyl ) panel and you will see the brass socket that goes on to the selector arm.
You could also try moving the steering column either left or right. Loosen the two nuts holding the column to the dash frame you be surprised how much side to side movement there is, this may help with park engagement.
I know this because I fitted an EZ electronic power steering unit which comes with a new column.
regards,
David B.