Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

electronic ignition

Rolo5

electronic ignition

Post by Rolo5 »

simple question, what is your view on this? It has been suggested to me to make a relatively simple change to negative earth and install electronic ignition, would appreciate feedback!

Kbeal

Re: electronic ignition

Post by Kbeal »

No need to convert to -ve earth, Pertronix do a +ve earth kit. Everything fits inside the distributor cap and it takes about 10 mins to fit. Not cheap though. You can get them from the Distributor Doctor in the UK: http://www.distributordoctor.com/lucas- ... ition.html.

Kevin

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

What problems are you having with your existing set up?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Rolo5

Post by Rolo5 »

After cleaning and resetting she fired up on the original points after 14 years in a barn, but i thought I would treat her to new points, condenser and rotor from "a leading supplier of Jaguar and Daimler parts", and had some iffy results on starting and misfiring. In the end it went to the MOT with one set of new, one set of old and the old condenser!
I spoke to Martin at DD and he suggested I thought about electronic, although he also said it wasnt cheap, but he did also suggest the change in polarity saying the -ve earth was "more reliable". I have ordered new standard setup from him, but wondering about the upgrade before I open the parts.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

The big plus of electronic ignition is it's 'fit and forget' - until of course it goes wrong; then it's usually throw away and start again. Electronic hardware - e.g. ignition, electric cooling fan, alternators - are now available for both positive and negative earth systems, however the positive earth versions are always more expensive - often substantially so.

A change to negative earth is straightforward with a few minor adjustments necessary; the dynamo (if you've retained it) will need re-polarising and the primary coil connections should be reversed as should the ammeter connections. Original type fuel pumps are not polarity sensitive. If your car has a cigarette lighter you'll now be able to use it for your SatNav and mobile phone too.

Personally I've fitted Pertronix electronic ignition but also retained positive earth. So far - only 4000 miles - no problems, but this ignition system and my Revotec electric fan were more expensive than the negative earth equivalents.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

After persisting with the points in my racecar for a season I eventually tired of the constant need for maintenance of them with a high output coil. I fitted a Pertronix Ignitor II module and haven't looked back.

After fitting the Pertronix module the ballast resistor I needed because of the low resistance coil (0.7 ohms MSD 2 coil) could be dispensed with allowing full potential of the coil to be utilized. For my initial set up and viewing the MSD recommendations about plug gap I started at .050". On first attempt to run the engine with this setup the ease of starting was readily apparent. The engine runs much sharper and crisper throughout the rev range. Having observed the considerable difference achieved and noting that MSD state that the plug gap can be set between .050"- .060" for engines up to 10:1 compression I reviewed that . As my engine is under that limit I increased the gap to .055". The engine continues to run fine and no breaking down of the ignition with that plug gap.

I would highly recommend a conversion like that in the mentioned in the post by Kbeal.

Also my engine runs a small negative earth alternator from a Daihatsu Charade from the early 90's. I had my brother turn up a new pulley and spacer to fit. Otherwise it was a bolt on conversion. Even the adjustment bracket fitted without any tweaking!

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Regrettably , I have had so much trouble with electronics on both my own and other people's cars that I have given up on them . Failure after failure on cars as diverse as My 2.5 litre V8, several E types , an XK150s , a Mark VII Jaguar and a Speed Six Bentley . One of the serious problems is that usually you get no warning , and sod's law dictates that the breakdown will occur at a point of maximum inconvenience . Various systems involved as well including 123, Pertronix and Lumenition . It is hard to understand, but a common feature of those who have had no trouble is that they live in dry climates . One thing I am sure about : I will never leave home in an electronic ignition car without the means to revert to points at the roadside

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Hi guys

I seem to be one of the very few who have had many untroubled miles of reliability from Lumenition in the current SP, a Century, and also a Rover 3500S bought new in the 1970s but since sold, in fact it was sadly written off on the mid-80s after being run into at a junction while waiting to turn right.

But, that aside, has anyone tried or heard of Powerspark electronic ignition? I've only just found the website because a local other SP is about to have one fitted. It is a small unit that fits inside the distr, screwed to the basplate with a trigger ring fitted to the shaft and I assume similar to the Pertronix system. It is only £42.95 neg earth or £49.95 for pos earth. They also do other ignition parts for 20D8 distr cars.

My normal back up for poss Lumenition failure is a spare distr in the boot, but at £43 this looks like a good alternative at an astonishing price.

Other reviews or opinions welcome, thanks.

Cheers

Geoff

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

PS

Chris, I have never had the good fortune to live in a dry climate.

Geoff

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

I have just installed the Power spark [purchased on Ebay] in the ex-racing engine and have only run it in the engine stand. Easy installation and fired right up......time will tell. Sure is easier than point and condenser. Want to test clutch disengagement prior to installed engine and transmission in car.