Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Power steering on a SP250

csm1406

Power steering on a SP250

Post by csm1406 »

At a Brooklands meeting recently there was a SP250 which the owner had fitted power steering to using - from memory parts from a mazda - may be wrong on this - the drive was taken from Alternator / dynamo and it was a very neat job. Does anyone know whose car this was as I would like some input into how to do this modification.

I have considered the steering rack option but prefer this option.

Cameron

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Power steering on a SP250

Post by A.N.Other »

I don't know the car in particular but the system can be fitted by a company called easy steer (or I think the name is something like that).
It is basically an electronic drive from a Vauxhall corsa or Mazda 3. A black box control unit is attached and it is all hidden under the dash. The down side with the system is that you loose the self cancelling indicator switch in the centre of the steering wheel.
I Made one myself that did use the original indicator switch and self cancelling system but I struggled to get reliable black box units. I don't know if it was the supply of them or the fact that I persisted with positive earth !
When it worked it was really good and the torque is controllable. The problem was I went through three black boxes in about fourteen months.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

csm1406

Post by csm1406 »

Hi
Thanks for response - I suspect positive earth was part of your problem - I have found a company who will fit one of these but specify negative earth only. I will post again if I progress with this.

Cameron

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Adrian Hetherington from the Isle of Man has fitted electric power steering on his SP.

He has a pale green SP250 which has been very nicely restored by himself.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!