Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Intermittent horn

Akiri

Intermittent horn

Post by Akiri »

Recently I have experienced the horn on my 1968 V8 - 250 sometimes sounds for a short blast when turning the steering wheel. Very annoying and embarrassing in heavy traffic! I am told it is necessary to remove the steering column to fix this. Is there an easier way?

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Intermittent horn

Post by John-B »

I've been looking for a post on the archive forum as I'm sure it was mentioned, but I can't find it.

However, I think twisted and bare wires causing the horn to sound does mean that you have to loosen the bottom end of the steering column to remove the horn and indicator controls and replace a worn cable. I don't believe that you have to remove the whole steering column. Be careful where the cables emerge at the bottom end.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

John-B wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 am ..... I think twisted and bare wires causing the horn to sound does mean that you have to loosen the bottom end of the steering column to remove the horn and indicator controls and replace a worn cable.....
I think the problem and solution you refer to John relates to the SP 250 with the steering column stator tube. The V8-250 uses recirculating ball steering with no stator tube.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Akiri

Post by Akiri »

Thank you John and Nick for your prompt replies.
I think you are right Nick, John's advice covers the SP 250.
Maybe the steering column has to come out.
Regards
Alan

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

It will be due to the wiring / rotor / spring /contact, items 37-41 on page I.11 Fig.6 of the service manual. It is located in the cabin, lower end of the upper steering column. Follow the purple wire! You may need to remove the upper column to investigate.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

As on all cars of the era there are grub screws behind the wheel unless the centre pops out allowing access to the wheel securing device , loosen them and the centre comes out, depending on make and model there will be enough length on the wires to access the connections, depending on the end termination you can extract the wiring loom to check for damage, assuming you haven't found it when removing the wheel centre. Memory recalls that you need to completely undo the nut for the in/out adjustment to remove the steering wheel and there are 2 brass tracks on the inside end of the wheel for the horn which pick up 2 wipers.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Hi All, the reason for the horn sounding when the steering wheel is turned is a worn out lower bush in the upper steering column. This causes the inner column to touch the outer column and earths the horn circuit. The complete column has to be removed, which is the bad news, but the bushes (replace both top & bottom ) are cheap, which is the good news.
Hope this helps
Chris S

Akiri

Post by Akiri »

Thanks to all for your useful advice. Looks like the column has to come out.
Akiri