Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Stamps

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Stamps

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

The island state of St. Vincent and the Grenadines has produced some colourful stamps over the years (probably a significant source of revenue?) including many featuring cars.

I wasn't aware until I saw this eBay listing for a proof set that these had included the SP250.
Capture.JPG
Anyone got the actual stamps?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Stamps

Post by John-B »

I wonder if an SP250 ever got to The Grenadines of St Vincent?

The cars are RHD.

If the DLOC had a proper archive, it should buy the stamps.

David S

Post by David S »

Yes, I have both stamps in a plastic key-ring / tag that I got on ebay some considerable time ago.
I think they are original & genuine.
It has been in a boly bag in a drawer ever since I bought it and I often think of passing it on through trusty ol' ebay!
Also got a pile of 'Road Tests' of SP250s from Classic car type magazines; I can get too much stuff like this if I'm not careful!

Re RHD: maybe they drive on the left in Grenades of St Vincent?

David

faeton

Post by faeton »

Regarding driving in the Caribbean ,that is of course if there are any driveable road left after the disastrous storms . You come across some weird things , some Islands still drive on the left although most of the cars are now Left Hand Drive. It takes a bit of getting used to . makes overtaking a bit of a challenge.

Dave

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

While on the subject I came across this Ghanaian stamp of the SP250 issued in 2001. Interestingly the description under the image contains what is allegedly a typo and '1954' should read '1959-64'. I wonder if this was ever corrected or if the error appears on the complete issue?
Capture.JPG
Nick

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Why would Ghana be interested in a SP250? Perhaps the President had one - or the police! I think it's an A spec as it seems to have no horizontal rear bumper, just the two short ones, and I think I can see a recess for the door handle, so it's probably 1959.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

As with many of the more 'exotic' countries, these types of stamp were - and indeed still are - produced primarily as a revenue generator from collectors rather than specifically for mail usage. Indeed I believe Stanley Gibbons does not even recognise the issues from 'The Grenadines of St. Vincent' as genuine postage stamps. Many countries produce whole ranges of typically transport and flora/fauna related issues. I doubt that the SP had any particular relevance to either Ghana or St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
Nick