Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP 250 clutch conversion

sebsdart

Re: SP 250 clutch conversion

Post by sebsdart »

It's on the flywheel at Gosney's engineering while they balance the motor so sorry I can't say how it performs.
Seb

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

The cossie runs a release bearing , no face plate on the fingers for a carbon thrust so not applicable in a std. set up.
A TR 4 bearing holder casting unit can be used with a bearing if you want to do away with the carbon. I'm using a BW T5 box in this case so no complications as that is the org. box in the cossie.
The healy set up works out so go with that . Plenty of info around.
steve

JimL

Post by JimL »

Thanks, I've been in touch with Calder Clutches (thanks Col) to see if the can give me some prices and advice on if the Land Rover pressure plate and Healy pressure plate are one and the same thing. The Land Rover pressure plates are incredibly cheap by comparison :D

Also does the Daimler carbon type thrust bearing work with the Healy pressure plate or is there another type of replacement release bearing required?
Jim L

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

You may want to contact Calder Clutches about the release bearing as well.
There is a modern day improvement which looks the same but is some form of plastic instead of carbon. It is much longer lasting and will probably out live the clutch. It is also a fraction of the price of the carbon one.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JimL

Post by JimL »

Hi Col
Well 'Calder' so far at least have not got back with a reply to my e-mail. Anyhow I've jumped ahead and purchased a new 9.5 ins Healy clutch kit (ebay) although I guess I wont be able to use the centre plate or release bearing?
I'll be pulling the gearbox soon-ish to fit a overdrive kit of parts so I'll need to get the clutch parts sorted out for the re-assembly.

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Hi Jim,
It is essential that you must use the carbon release thrust bearing that comes in the kit. The diaphragm spring pressure plate is shallower than the original coil spring type, and the carbon thrust bearing that comes with it is thicker by the right amount to fill the gap.
The 9.5" centre plate that comes in the kit cannot be used because its splines do not match those of the Daimler gearbox.
Fitting the pressure plate to the Daimler flywheel involves a bit of work with the dowel pins, though the bolt holes fit perfectly. I will e-mail the clutch conversion article to you to explain this.
Would you like me to e-mail the overdrive conversion article too?
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

JimL

Post by JimL »

Wilf, Many thanks and yes I would very much appreciate the info on the overdrive conversion as well.
So am I correct to think that the standard Austin Healey carbon release bearing fit to the Daimler release fork and there is no need to go with a TR4 bearing carrier and ball bearing type release bearing? I'm sure this will all come clear in the conversion details though. Many thanks.
Jim

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Yes Jim,
That is correct, the A-H release bearing is identical to the SP250 original, except for the thicker carbon ring. A straight swap, unless you want to change to a ball race. I can't help on that, as the A-H carbon release bearing fitted to my car in 2011 is still doing fine.
Please let me know if you have received the items I sent you this morning, so I know I still have the correct e-mail address. If OK, then I will send you the overdrive article.
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Gents,

I'm in the throws of completing my update with new ex-race engine, AH 9.5" pressure plate, Toyota clutch plate driving a Toyota W58 5 speed transmission. I have installed a Quartermaster hydraulic throw-out or release bearing and plan to run the engine in the test stand I built, prior to installing engine/transmission in my SP250.

I'm setting up a hydraulic slave device to activate the hydraulic throw out bearing but not sure of what hydraulic pressure is normally required for the standard clutch slave cylinder.

Any advice welcomed.

Dennis

JimL

Post by JimL »

Wilf, Yes pleased to report that I got the information ok, many thanks for that. I look forward to receiving the overdrive information, should be a nice winter project to get stuck into. I believe I already have all the required parts at hand. Thanks again, Jim L