Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Max overbore Daimler V8

Sonus

Re: Max overbore Daimler V8

Post by Sonus »

That is ideal as Ford Focus' are much easier to find here in Norway. Probably lots easier to buy cheap on ebay as well.

Regarding my initial question regarding max overbore; After feedback in this thread and a lenghty and very informative phone call to Russ Carpenter I have decided to go +150/thou overbore. New pistons are being designed for 11:1 compression ratio.

David S

Post by David S »

By my reckoning that'll make it 2574cc.........
But won't the raising the compression ratio from 8.2:1 make it need higher octane petrol than currently available?
You don't want it pinking!

David

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

David S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 pm By my reckoning that'll make it 2574cc.........
I make it 2809cc ?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Could be a different pie in the mix.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

daimlersteve wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:08 am Could be a different pie in the mix.
Capture.JPG
:lol: :lol:
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Nah, only one of them. 2 pi r for circ. , pi r sq for area.
Apart from that , whats the goss in the old country ?

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

David S wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:07 pm By my reckoning that'll make it 2574cc.........
But won't the raising the compression ratio from 8.2:1 make it need higher octane petrol than currently available?
You don't want it pinking!

David
That is 11:1 static, but probably a lot less dynamic compression due o the cam profile we are using :)

((150/1000)+3) = 3.15" in diameter or 80.01mm which should make it a tad more than 2800cc :D

Will probably ditch the eight throttle bodies and do a plenum intake with dual throttle bodies as the pulse tuning in the plenum looks like it will get us an even higher torque figure :)

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

sonus,
yep thats the way to go, you can get it down to the second or third harmonic with a cross ram twin plenum setup.
I've made that manifold and plenums and will get around to setting it up when the new 2.8 finally gets here.
steve.
PS, Buy Pipemax and do the calcs. Cheap as.

David S

Post by David S »

Well Thanks!

I never was the sharpest tool in the box, I had used 3.015" for the diameter, Ooops!

And I always the engineer's Pi x D squared over 4 for area, then x h for volume so I don't get the Shreddies pie bit!

Anyway, it's worse now...... I am struggling with French language curtesy of Misuser Vortex O’Plinth; Nick signs off: "Pas d'elle yeux Rhône que nous" - and my Google transtale tool says that means: "Not her eyes Rhone that we".

Ummmm??

Dumfounded Dave.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Re the French you seem to be without a paddle Dave ;) ;)
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster