Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Max overbore Daimler V8

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Max overbore Daimler V8

Post by tjt77 »

replay to Ian Slade re weight (in relation to the skinny main bearing bolts)
:- Known variously as the Fireball and Skylark by Buick (and as Rockette, Cutlass, and Turbo-Rocket by Oldsmobile),[3] the 215 had a 4.24 in (108 mm) bore spacing, a bore of 3.5 in (89 mm), and a stroke of 2.8 in (71 mm), for an actual displacement of 215.5 cu in (3,531 cc). At the time the engine was the lightest mass-production V8 in the world, with a dry weight of only 318 lb (144 kg). Measuring 28 in (71 cm) long, 26 in (66 cm) wide, and 27 in (69 cm) high
At introduction, Buick's 215 was rated 150 hp (110 kW) at 4400 rpm. This was raised soon after introduction to 155 hp (116 kW) at 4600 rpm. 220 lb·ft (298 N·m) of torque was produced at 2400 rpm with a Rochester 2GC (DualJet) two-barrel carburetor and 8.8:1 compression ratio. A mid-year introduction was the Buick Special Skylark version, which had 10.00:1 compression and a four-barrel carburetor, raising output to 185 hp (138 kW) at 4800 rpm and 230 lb·ft (312 N·m) at 2800 rpm.

the final GM version produced 200BHP on 10.5:1 compression..
The final 'Rover' version (heaver..due to a stronger, sand cast,rather than die cast alloy block of the original design.. but significantly lighter than the daimler 2 1/2) produced over 220bhp and great gobs of torque from its 4.6 litres at below 5,000rpms..

Since they are easy to find, cheap as chips, parts very easy to source and a myriad of tuning parts are available ,not to mention that fact that these engines are extremely robust and capable of high mileages between overhaul, added to the compactness,high power outputs and very low wieght ..its basically a 'no brainer'

I have still not competed the build of the first failed 2 1/2 litre Daimler V8 engine ( began mid last year now on my 3rd set of 'scrap' cylinder heads and second cylinder block, after far too much time and several frustrated machinists later) Im out of patience and severely depleted on funds ..Ive decided to employ common sense and go with something that is (a) lighter (b) is more compact (c) will produce significantly more power (d) do the job better for longer on less time and money (e) Is a fraction of the cost (f) significant room for producing more power:- even the longest stroke version is well over square..3.5s have been run at 8,000 rpms frequently + with no reliability issues..

hopefully I will get one Daimler 2 1/2 engine completed and re-installed in the not too distant future.. the other 3 will be shelved due to far to many problems and the huge expense encountered..right now Im focussing on getting one of the cars back on the road with a Rover engine and ZF4hp22 auto box..the 4.2 diff is going to be replaced with a 3.54 'powerlok' from a 3.8 jaguar.. Im sure I will have a vastly more enjoyable car to drive.. 2,200rpms @75mph with significantly improved HP and torque fits my ideals quite well.. I often drive over 500 miles per day in my classics..

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

But:- is it still a Daimler ?? was it EVER a Daimler ? debatable.. the badges say Daimler.. the body is that of the parent company, Jaguar as were all +/- 18,000 of them.. the weight balance was far superior on the Daimler v Jaguar version..and steering lighter, plus that lovely V8 burble.. the performance always lack lustre in comparision to the 'top dog' 3.8 manual overdrive Mk2.. lets not talk about reliability or longevity.. because that is the primary objection for most who remain 'practical' in outlook.
Different scenario with the SP250, which is a rather different concept .. the 140hp turner v8 on much taller gearing does the job admirably with an acceptable life span in that application.. shame about the gearbox and other early 1950s Triumph TR inspired bits though..

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

You are quite right in your Buick engines, but as stated before they have greater capacity and lower rpm, you are comparing apples with pairs, the Daimler 2.5 V8 was a low production high rpm engine designed for the sports car market, the Buick was a high production engine designed for a long distance cruise at low rpm, even in it's later stages as a 4.6l Range Rover engine, it didn't compare that well to the 4.5 V8 Daimler in standard form. There was just no way Bill Lyons was going to put that 4.5 V8 in a Jaguar body and have his Jaguars out sold by a badged Jaguar body with a far more powerful engine. The 4.6 RR engine was on fuel injection and had the same power output as a 4.5 V8 Daimler on a couple of SU's and was considerably thirstier.
I'm afraid you bought the wrong car, it was sold as a status symbol to the US market in a niche area for those that thought a Jaguar was for the sporty minded executive rather than the more staid church going VP who used it around the county, not country.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

Since I have examples of both engines currently, and have owned quite a few V8 Rovers in the past, my personal view is that the Rover engine is not a patch on the Daimler . The Daimler is wonderfully sweet and refined ( mine is a very late mark 2 Manual and overdrive, not a 250 ), and the Rover I have currently in a 3.5 litre coupe is - by comparison - rough and noisy with a pronounced V8 beat . If you put a Rover/ Buick in a Daimler 2.5 ( if it will fit which may be doubtful ) I think you will be very disappointed. Incidentally, on the eternal Daimler v Jaguar XK debate, size for size the two power units produce about the same power and torque, but sadly from a Daimler point of view the Jaguar is much more durable

ddstewie

Post by ddstewie »

Just a thought - a Mazda rotary would be the way to go. an RX7 twin rotor 13B-REW twin turbo 1.3 litre will satisfy.
255 HP at 6,000 rpm , 217 pound feet of torque , 0 to 60 mph in 5 seconds . Use the complete drivetrain from the Mazda .
The SP 250 would be a demon. Out with the 2.8 and in with the 1.3 ?

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Den,,, you're poking a hornets nest sir !

ddstewie

Post by ddstewie »

Saloon generator bracket modified for alternator installation on the 2.8 motor. No welding required, utilize shorter studs from saloon
cam follower housing for attachment.

ddstewie

Post by ddstewie »

Daimler 2810cc (2).jpg

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

Apologies for the thread drift, but what alternator is normally used? Is it a 17 ACR?

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Now what about an air con unit with the alternator built into it as well for convenient single mounting in the SP valley?
steve