Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Max overbore Daimler V8

Sonus

Re: Max overbore Daimler V8

Post by Sonus »

The piston design has been completed and the pistons ordered. Cross bolt/pin is slightly different to fit the NOS Crower con rods my engine builder found. Camshaft has been shipped to CatCams for regrind evaluation. Starting to come together now 😊
Attachments
Daimler-V8-SP250-Kowi-(002).jpg

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Sonus, are you using the std. camshaft to regrind? steve

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

daimlersteve wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:49 am Sonus, are you using the std. camshaft to regrind? steve
My stock cams has been sent to CatCams for evaluation, but it looks likely that we will have a new cam made. We are even thinking about line boring the camshaft carriers to make space for larger lobes. Just need to find suitable camshaft bearings.

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

The pistons have arrived :)
Attachments
20180417_203059.jpg

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

not unlike the profile of the hepolite 'powermax' pistons as supplied for the trumph bonnvllie engines.. .. which are marginally shorter from wrist pin center to top outer edge of piston than the standard daimler piston.... I like the fact that you have added an extra compression ring in your upgrade.. 2 compressions rings come up a bit short in my opinion..3 rings are likely to improve sealing substantially..

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Who has suggestions on a supplier for .150" oversize pistons ? I was aware that there are .100" available for the triumph bonneviile engine.. but have contacted one supplier who has .060" in stock ( just above a .030" rebore on 'our' engines)
reason I ask is its either sleeve the block.. or go to sufficient oversize to get beyond the deep pits in the Bores..( was a relatively fresh rebuild with +.030" rebore.. but both head gaskets were leaky and the car was put away by p/o for about 25 yrs with coolant in most of the cylinders) heads beyond economical repair..( primarily due to excess corrosion around valve seats) the story was he stopped driving it due to 'rear main oilseal leaking'.. about the ONLY place NOT leaking oil was the rear main.. the primary leak was from a corroded feed pipe to rocker gear.. and everything else sort of cobbled together.. iron wire and bailing twine were evident in many external places on engine.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Ask Denis Stewart re pistons +150

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Steve, how do i contact denis stewart ?

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

just send him an email through this forum. He had his made by Ross in the good old u s of a. If he doesnt reply i'll give him a call (5 min. away from me here in nz)

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

News !!! The rotating assembly has been balanced and returned to the machinist for assembly . As Den said -- Bob Mead (Balancing specs) is a perfectionist and is very pleased with the result. Two slugs of Mallory Metal required in the counter wts. to bring it up to spec ( due to the heavier custom pistons with a combustion chamber in the top of the crown being a mirror image of the new head combustion chamber shape) .
Have just welded up a cam for grinding to the new 2.8 profile and will try it in the std. mtr. to compare with the 195 hp version installed at present. Should be interesting , as its a modern profile compared to the existing 15 yr old. What i need now is a dyno that will read from 1500 rpm instead of the std. 2500 rpm foot to the floor. That isnt the way the car is used on the road so i want a more realistic tq. readout.

regards to all steve.

ps. Who in Scotland has just taken possession of a t5 bell housing for his SP ? I,ve just had Colin Dray in from 5 Speed Conversions.
Hes also made up a 4.5 version for Steve Sannett in the states.