Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Adjusting Tappets

faeton

Adjusting Tappets

Post by faeton »

Has anyone ever produced a tool for adjusting tappets v/v clearance on the v8 engines , I have been mechanic / engineer all my working life , I find this job requires three hands . As the adjusting screws have no screwdriver slot and require a small spanner to turn , the other problem is the proximity of the lock nut to the pedestal . Also as the valves are at an angle stopping the feeler gauge falling out and checking the clearance whilst adjusting and tightening the lock nut with no assistance is difficult.
A simple tool consisting of two old style box spanners , the smaller one with a square end inside a larger 1/2af box . I have never heard any mention of said tool and as I probably wont be repeating the task anytime soon , Just a thought.
There was a tappet adjusting tool available that used a socket and had a built in screwdriver for adjusters with screwdriver slots . No use for our engines but probably quite useful,
Dave

Kbeal

Re: Adjusting Tappets

Post by Kbeal »

I guess that in the day, the mechanic servicing the engine had full access to an apprentice who provided the extra hand(s) required. (see also changing the oil filter)

The adjusting tool you remember was a 'click adjust' and as you say completely useless on our V8 engines. I bought one in error years ago so imagine my disappointment when it arrived. In 25 years of SP ownership I've never come across anything remotely similar that would work on the Daimler V8 engine.

Kevin