Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

ignition timing marks

TWF

ignition timing marks

Post by TWF »

Hi, my SP is fitted with the saloon engine , i cannot see the timing marks, can someone please tell me where I should be looking, Regards, Terry.( I realise now that the saloon engine has a different timing cover than the Dart) I e no timing pointer. I will have a closer look tomorrow.

John-B
Site Admin

Re: ignition timing marks

Post by John-B »

TWF wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:54 pm Hi, my SP is fitted with the saloon engine , i cannot see the timing marks, can someone please tell me where I should be looking, Regards, Terry.( I realise now that the saloon engine has a different timing cover than the Dart) I e no timing pointer. I will have a closer look tomorrow.
There wasn't a pointer or mark on my Dart which has a saloon block. Phil Glennerster bolted on a small pointer when he restored the engine, so he worked out where it should be from the piston positions or distributor.

Chris S

Post by Chris S »

Hi, The timing on the salon engine is fitted at about 8 o'clock looking at the front damper. It is part of the bracket that supports the gearbox oil cooler pipes. So as SP has a different gearbox the pointer was probably removed with the pipes bracket.
Only solution is to remove near side rocker cover, and nbr 1 spark plug, turn engine until both valves are closed (compression stroke) and then put a long thin screwdriver into the plug hole and slowly rotate the engine until TDC is found.
Hope this helps
Best rgds Chris S
V8 saloon registrar

daimlerfan

Post by daimlerfan »

These are pics of the timing marks on my V8 250 saloon, just above to the rear of the pulleys on the RH side of the car.
IMG_5217.jpg
IMG_5216.jpg
John
1969 Daimler V8 250

TWF

Post by TWF »

Hi, thanks for the replies , very much appreciated ,Terry.