Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 rear ends

pjbowman

SP250 rear ends

Post by pjbowman »

A couple of questions:
- is the only outward way to identify a condition 1 axle vs condition 2 axle the filler plug on the top, which indicates condition 1 as I understand it?
- what internal improvements (or external for that matter) were made that resulted in Condition 2 axles? I understand they are much more bullet-proof than the earlier Condition 1s.
- when was the condition 2 axle introduced?

Thanks, always learning!
Peter B.

silverdart

Re: SP250 rear ends

Post by silverdart »

There are two internal differences between series 1 and series 2 axles.
On series 2 the imput pinion shaft journal behind the gearteeth, is larger in its diameter, thus giving greater torsional strength.
The differential bearing carrier journals are larger in diameter and therefore this casting is stronger.
Do you still have problems with you rear axle?

Dave.

pjbowman

Post by pjbowman »

Thanks Dave! I actually found a complete Condition 2 axle locally (unbelievable...), have bolted into my car, and am back on the road! May eventually rebuild my Condition 1 'just in case', but for now at least no urgency.
Peter B.

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi Peter, Good to hear you are up and running.
I rebuilt a condition 1 axle earlier this year and have done about 1000 miles since.
If you do need a crown wheel and pinion set, Barry Thorne has them and is probably the cheapest in the U.K.

Dave.