Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 Choke Control

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

V8 250 Choke Control

Post by Salmons »

After a visit to the local garage where they fitted a wiring and rocker switch for the electric fan the choke control has become very stiff to operate.

When raising the control the first half is easy but to slide it right to the top is very stiff.

Have released cable and the carburettor levers operate easily. Has anyone else had this problem. I have obtained a new cable how difficult is it to fit this.

Dennis

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: V8 250 Choke Control

Post by Salmons »

Sorry CHOKE CONTROL not COKE

John-B
Site Admin

Re: V8 250 Coke Control

Post by John-B »

What sort of Coke are you trying to control? :lol:
You can edit title of your own post, I've done it for you.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Thank you John.

Dennis

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

If memory serves me well, I think it may be the cable inner. On chokes they are usually a flexible steel rod rather than a Baldwin cable. It may have been disturbed while other work was carried out. You could try re-routing back to the original position that the cable has formed to over the years or try just a new inner.
If you disconnect it from the carb linkage to test or work on remember to leave a little play so the choke shuts off completely.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

You got an iphone Colin? never heard of a Baldwin cable I assume iphones don't like Bowden cables :lol:
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

malyn

Post by malyn »

I put up with extreme stiffness on the cable for far too long! Removing, grasing and resetting gave the desired result. Rodney

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

The signature says it all Ian. :oops:
As you may notice with my posts, I may be rough but I'm slow as well !
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Removed choke cable and ran oil down inside outer it moved very freely. Re-connected to carbs and still very stiff to lift choke control. Decided to check carbs, removed Air filters and piston suction chamber, suction disc with piston and hydraulic dampers of the carbs. Tipped out excess oil cleaned with petrol and re-assembled with a little light oil. Pistons lift easily and choke control is now much lighter to use.

So problem solved.

Whilst removing the air filters I found that someone, perhaps a former owner, had made a modification to the bolts that hold that filters onto the carbs. They had cut slots in the ends of the bolts so that when the air filter was being refitted to the carb, the bolts could be tightened up with a screwdriver from the filter side rather than struggling with a spanner on the back.

Dennis