Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Cooling fan questions

JSabah

Cooling fan questions

Post by JSabah »

While checking around in the engine bay I discovered some potential issues with the fan. (1) I noticed the bolts which hold the fan extension tube on have 2 lengths and was wondering if that could cause a slight vibration at a certain RPM which I have. (2) are the short bolt lengths long enough or do I risk spinning one off. (3) most concerning with regard to the vibration, I discovered that the fan is loose to the point where I can wriggle it with almost no pressure and upon review of the workshop manual see that there should be rubber bushes (item B) and distance pieces (item C) neither of which I have (unless a distance piece is a washer). Are these pieces available?Image
Attachments
IMG_4377.JPG
IMG_4376.JPG
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

Bud

Re: Cooling fan questions

Post by Bud »

I would suspect the bolt length. Drawing shows similar bolt lengths + or - and it looks as these longer bolts are randomly located, I would place them opposite each other on the diameter. If this reduced your vibrations I would insure they were all the same length and check again.
The spacers and rubber parts may still need attention.

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

Here are some links to my loose fan video ( never did this before, hope it works)

Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

Bud wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 pm I would suspect the bolt length. Drawing shows similar bolt lengths + or - and it looks as these longer bolts are randomly located, I would place them opposite each other on the diameter. If this reduced your vibrations I would insure they were all the same length and check again.
The spacers and rubber parts may still need attention.
Thanks Bud, I will address the bolt lengths I think by making them all the longer size to ensure the nylocks have enough to hold on to. Have a look at the videos (links) I posted as that surly makes a difference

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Phil Glennerster said that the fan should always be balanced, by welding a bit on the end of fan blades I think, like wheel balancing. In that case it would cancel any vibration due to unequal bolt lengths.

He recommended removing the fan and using an electric fan and a larger radiator instead.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Your fan is definitely wrong. It should not wobble like it is doing.
The spacers and rubbers should be in place as they act as a vibration damper.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

I see the rubber bushings available from manners but I don't see the spacers ... Are they available? Are they the same as found on the TR3 (and available from Moss )?
Josh

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

I changed the shorter bolts on the extension tube to match the longer and removed the fan ... NO MORE VIBRATION. As I mentioned the fan was loose and I noticed that the rubber bushings had sheered off and the remnants were flush with the fan. I after speaking with John Carey, he suggested that I get new bushings from Moss motors as there were the same as found on the TR 2,3 &4's. When they arrived I found that they were 5/8" diameter (the portion that goes in the fan holes), and the inner hole is for a distance piece set up for a 5/16" bolt - ours are 1/4". I e mailed manners asking to confirm their size but have no response yet. Any info on these would be appreciated.

In the mean time, I cut a all wedge out of the larger bushings and glued them in place (they were squishing out when the metal was inserted) just to get on the road ... Still no vibration (😀)..... But I would like to install the correct size bushings is anybody has them or knows where to get them. Thanks

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Hi Josh,
I can only offer two comments: 1) If you want the right parts, go to Barry Thorne, and 2) the fan assemblies were balanced at the factory; in my example there is a rivet added to the end of one of the blades, and there is no vibration.
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

HibWilf, thank you. Yes my fan also has rivets on some of the blades (2 on each of 2 blades). I was carful with the fan while the car was apart but I didn't mark the original position. I was planning on testing and rotating the fan until things were right but all is good on the 1st try with new, all be it incorrect/Mickey moused bushings.

I'll e mail Barry. Thanks, Josh